Resignation - what do I do?

(2 Posts)
Greensweet Tue 11-Oct-16 10:11:33

Hi all,

I'm currently signed off sick with work related stress. I've decided that I am going to resign as I can't face ever going back 🙁 The problem is - how do I do it? I'm thinking the 'right' thing to do would be to phone my boss to tell her I want to resign and then follow this up by sending a formal letter or resignation. My problem is I don't feel able to make the phone call. The thought of speaking to her is making me feel sick. Could I just email to let her know my intentions and then post the letter? Or would that be really unprofessional? I don't want to ruin my chances of a reference and I also don't want to make management angry but at the same time, the phone call is terrifying me!!! Any advice gratefully received x

RatherBeRiding Thu 13-Oct-16 16:00:24

Of course it isn't unprofessional to email rather than phone, You're off sick for heaven's sake, and if you are worried about getting a "bad" reference, just remember you have the right to see what any referee has written about you and, tbh, I can't imagine any reference is going to hinge on whether you phoned to say you were leaving, or you emailed!

You could specifically say in your email that you are feeling quite fragile at the moment, hence the email rather than a phone call and hope she can understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now