Should you be told why you're being suspended?

(3 Posts)
Freight Fri 07-Oct-16 16:41:12

Posting for a friend.

She has worked for her company for several years and was promoted to team manager a couple of years back. She then had to take a period of several months off sick.

She returned under a new manager (previous manager sacked during absence) and with a new team. There were some issues with the new manager, she was very critical of the way my friend had managed her previous team despite the fact that the team worked incredibly well, meeting targets and she'd won internal awards etc.

My friend describes the place as having a lot of office politics and one where you're only valued if your face fits. They seem to be getting rid of a lot of staff (under the guise of resignations) when others have walked back into old jobs after leaving, without interviews. People being promoted above others more deserving, etc.

She was just starting to find her feet with her new team. She was aware that there was a meeting between one staff member (who is apparently known for being difficult) and her manager and was asked a few questions after about some new processes. The following day, she was told a formal complaint had been lodged against her and she was being suspended on full pay pending an investigation. She has no idea what could have formed the basis of a complaint or even who the complaint is from but is speculating that it is from this staff member.

My friend thinks the staff member was encouraged to submit a formal complaint. She has not been told what the complaint is about but will be told next week and then a meeting will be held two days later. All she's been told is that she cannot be in contact with any colleagues. She's naturally really worried about this.

Should my friend have been told the basis of the allegations? What should she do now?

ICancelledTheCheque Fri 07-Oct-16 22:54:07

In short, no. Allegations only have to be given before the disciplinary stage. Often it helps not to tell the employee so they don't have chance to fabricate a story!

All she can do is wait it out. It's crap.

mumofthemonsters808 Fri 07-Oct-16 23:03:57

When my friend was suspended, she received details of the allegation a week later. She was suspended on full pay and told to not contact any colleagues. A few tense weeks later she had the meeting, which allowed her to put her case forward and counter the statements that had been made.Its an awful thing to go through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now