Didn't get the job - 'role not enough for me' - so disappointed

(10 Posts)
dollybird Mon 03-Oct-16 23:14:04

I interviewed for role in another co on Friday. Was told today that they would've liked to offer me the job but they felt it might not be enough for me as the next step up might not become available when I am ready to move up (when I qualify- currently studying cima) and as its only a small team they think I might get bored once I got to grips with the role and leave.

I'm really disappointed. I think the jobs a great opportunity for me as its still accountancy but in a different industry. I've been at my current co for over 15 years and changing employer is not something I do lightly. I wish i could change their mind but they've offered to the other candidate.

Not really after advice, just wanting to vent my disappointment sad

YuckYuckEwwww Mon 03-Oct-16 23:21:49

Don't get to wound up about it, it's a common "cop out" feedback tactic when they don't want to tell you why you really didn't get the job.

Here's my 2 personal experiences of it
1. I really REALLY wanted a job that I would have been good at. It wasn't a graduate job and I was a graduate, but not a recent graduate and I'ld never worked in the field of my degree. They told me what you were told…
.. I was really upset/wound up about it, I would have been VERY happy in that job and not tried to trade up…
……….until………………a friend who worked there told me that the person who got the job was internal and had wrapped up her role the day before the interview and was at her new desk at 9am the day after the interviews.

It was bollocks, the job was never on the cards for me

2. Again interviewing for a non graduate job as a graduate. Another graduate I knew was going for it. I took the interview really seriously, had researched the company, bought a new suit for the interview… got the job. Other graduate (who was slagging off the job prior to interview) was told he was over qualified. His degree wasn't any better than mine, it was just code for "you clearly look down on this job". He was furious. When I started I was working with about 3/4 grads even though it was not a grad job.

Chippednailvarnishing Mon 03-Oct-16 23:28:20

How far off qualifying are you?
I wouldn't hire a mid to end stage studier if I was looking for someone to stay.

daisychain01 Tue 04-Oct-16 02:46:17

When you miss out on a job see the warning sign. It wasn't a good fit for whatever reason.

Put it down to " be careful what you wish for" You could have got the job but realised later down the line it was a mistake

thehugemanatee Tue 04-Oct-16 03:02:48

It's disappointing, but you just have to accept it and find something else.

I got the 'overqualified' thing a lot because I have a PhD and was applying for jobs that don't require one. I have stayed in positions that do require one now but still secretly disappointed that I can't do the kind of job that people are hired with a Masters for. One specific type of job like this is (well was) my dream job. It's hard when something is enough for you and the interviewers assume you really want more when you don't.

dollybird Tue 04-Oct-16 06:17:41

Chipped I'm due to take my first management level exam in a couple of weeks

dollybird Tue 04-Oct-16 06:18:00

Onwards and upwards!

YuckYuckEwwww Tue 04-Oct-16 12:38:17

When you miss out on a job see the warning sign. It wasn't a good fit for whatever reason.

This too

Alhough I think its usually code for "we don't want to tell you the real reason why we didn't hire you because it was unfair (either pre-determined internal, or sexist or whatever), Sometimes it's just them telling you who they really are: i.e. you clearly like self development, we are not going to support you to develop within this role, we want someone who won't ask for support to grow professionally, even if they intend to stay in this role, we want a work-horse who is grateful of the (any) job and will turn up and shut up."

dollybird Tue 04-Oct-16 16:34:23

It was a small team with the next role up likely to become available in 2-5 years. I hope to be qualified in 2-3. They had a full study package. I think they thought the promotion opportunity wouldn't have been soon enough for me and perhaps they're right, although it depends if I keep passing the exams or not!

YuckYuckEwwww Tue 04-Oct-16 20:07:33

maybe, or maybe being a small time they just though that another applicant's face fit in better in the group, but obvs they can't tell you that as feedback

so don't over think it. It's used so often as a get out for places that hire on less fair (or even illegal) criteria that there's no point worrying about it when it might not even be about that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now