Looking for a new job on Maternity Leave

(5 Posts)
melibu84 Mon 03-Oct-16 11:05:33

Hi everyone, I was looking for jobs for my partner, and stumbled across one for myself. It's for a similar role as I'm doing now, but it's more money and in my area, so no commuting.

I am really tempted to apply for it, but I am currently on maternity leave, and don't know if there will be ramifications. A friend has told me in the past that you need to stay in the role for a minimum term after maternity leave, or they can ask for the maternity pay back. Is this true?

I was with my company for over a year before I went on maternity leave.

Any advice appreciated, thanks! smile

ListenToYourHeart Mon 03-Oct-16 11:08:38

From my understanding if you are only receiving Statutory maternity pay then all you need to do is give the correct notice whilst you are on maternity leave and you are free to move to another job etc without having anything to pay back

However if your employer is paying you a enhanced maternity pay or any money over the statutory pay amount this would need to be repaid if you did not return. You wouldn't have to pay all the money back, only the money that is above the SMP amount.

LIZS Mon 03-Oct-16 11:11:57

If you only received Smp then you are under no obligation to return or repay. If you received any top up maternity payments from the company there may be conditions attached which would require you to do so , but only if this was stated upfront of your ml. Even so the Smp element is yours to keep.

melibu84 Mon 03-Oct-16 11:20:03

Thanks! I am only getting SMP. Onwards and upwards then smile

ListenToYourHeart Mon 03-Oct-16 13:00:29

Ah good luck with applying for the new job! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now