New job and pregnant

(6 Posts)
donnas84 Thu 22-Sep-16 16:53:18

Hello, I am looking for some advise.
I have recently started a new job and am in 3 months probabtion period.
I have found out i am 6 weeks pregnant and am worried about telling my employer in case they find some way of getting rid of me.
Its a small business, the girl who done this job before me left because she went on maternity and decided not to go back to work so i can see they would be uneasy.

By the time i complete my probation i will be 16 weeks pregnant and not sure i can keep up the pretenses that long.
When i do tell them? Do i lie and say i have not long found out?

TIA

Cluesue Thu 22-Sep-16 17:01:26

I personally wouldn't say anything as they could let you go for that reason but because it's probationary could just say it's not working out.
I started a new job and found out I was pregnant 2.5 weeks later,because of what the job entailed it was really hard to get cover so any hospital appointments you had to show letters,I put off showing them the letter right up to the day of my appointment because it said exactly what it was,a pregnancy scan.my employers weren't that impressed but by then I'd been there passed probabtion period.
As an aside,I didn't go back after maternity as the female staff were a nest of vipers.

AC14MUZ Thu 22-Sep-16 17:06:08

Congratulations on the new job, and the pregnancy! I would wait until you are out of your probationary period, you may have to use annual leave for days off for scans and appointments but it shouldn't be too many and will avoid suspicion. Then you can let them know and have peace of mind your job is safe. I was dreading telling my two bosses, both men and I hadn't been in role very long but they were really happy for me and supportive so you never know, your work may surprise you.

Good luck and hope it all goes well!

melibu84 Thu 22-Sep-16 17:13:54

Legally, you don't need to tell them until a certain point, which is after your probationary period. You can hide your growing belly with slightly larger tops smile When I was pregnant, I didn't buy any maternity tops, I just went up a couple of sizes smile good luck!

DdRiches84 Thu 22-Sep-16 17:39:57

Thank you ladies. This is the most worrying atm for me, that and hiding morning sickness grin.
Do you have think I should tell them I had only found out not long before 12 week scan? Or that I've known for 10 weeks? Xx

AC14MUZ Thu 22-Sep-16 17:59:59

Whatever you do, do not worry! You need to be as stress free as possible. Personally if it were me, I'd say I only just found out when you tell them, but you know your company and bosses, do you think they would respond better if they think you have only just found out and it is s massive coincidence or would they appreciate the honesty? You need to think about what is going to work best for you, work will have to deal with it and they've had pregnancy colleagues before so I'm sure they will be fine! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now