Asking for pay rise when going from band 6 to 7 in NHS

(18 Posts)
TheFurryMenace Thu 15-Sep-16 23:13:49

I currently work p/t .6fte as a band 6 but my pay spine overlaps with band 7 by a couple of points. I am going for band 7 job, .8fte. If I stay on the same pay spine I wont be much better off with the extra childcare and travel, so ideally I would like to go up a couple of points, but I don't feel confident asking. Has anyone done this? How did you negotiate it with your manager?

ftmsoon Thu 15-Sep-16 23:17:02

My understanding is you can't. You will move over on the same pay and then go up a pip when you've been in post a year and had a successful appraisal.

April241 Thu 15-Sep-16 23:20:28

When I went band 5 to 6 I automatically moved across the scale to the equivalent of the band 5 pay point I was on and up a point, then yearly increments as normal.

Is that what you mean?

Frogqueen13 Thu 15-Sep-16 23:21:16

Yeah you can do this, I just have. Only one increment but there was no objection

TheFurryMenace Thu 15-Sep-16 23:58:58

So, not a given but likely I'd be able to move up at least 1 pay point? Hardly seems fir to take on a much bigger responsibility without a pay increment at all!

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

CaptainSnort Fri 16-Sep-16 00:07:10

I moved across the scale to band 7 equivalent and up a point. I didn't have to ask, that's the general policy where I work. It might be worth checking with HR.

daisychain01 Fri 16-Sep-16 04:12:18

Something to bear in mind as a negotiation point, you need to give management a good reason to increase your salary, what value are you adding to the organisation that merits the additional salary.

It has to be a better economic argument than you needing to pay for travel/child care. Not saying you'd use that in your justification, btw, just pointing out that you need to focus on what extra skills/contribution you are bringing to the party. They won't care about anything else!

TheFurryMenace Fri 16-Sep-16 10:32:28

Thanks, maybe I should think about that too, Daisy.

Nice to hear it's standard practice in some Trusts, Captain.

April241 Sat 17-Sep-16 00:22:44

Yeah furry if you take a promotion you'll automatically move over and up one, not sure about moving up more than that though. I'm NHS Scotland and as far as I'm aware it's standard policy, haven't heard of anyone not moving up a point and it's in the policies for my area too smile

mayhew Sat 17-Sep-16 00:26:25

Speak to your HR department. It is usual that there is an uplift in pay on a promotion. Dont be unconfident. Find out the normal practice and ask them to follow it.

TheFurryMenace Sat 17-Sep-16 07:54:23

Thanks for all the responses, I feel better about asking now.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Sat 17-Sep-16 07:56:43

You may go up 1 point. In my experience in would be very unlikely to be more than that though.

HollyBrown Sat 17-Sep-16 08:00:17

Yes, one spine point raise is the norm when going up a band

Lunar1 Sat 17-Sep-16 08:02:44

When I went from 6-7 I went across and up one.

theclick Sat 17-Sep-16 10:51:19

My best friend did this when going from 7-8. Simply said she knew she was performing at band 8 level. They agreed and put her up. She hadn't been in the job a year.

frikadela01 Sat 17-Sep-16 10:59:24

In my experience it's standard practice to move across and up one spine point.
I've never heard of anyone receiving a raise of more than one increment.

April241 Sat 17-Sep-16 12:18:17

Also just as a side note I wasn't in the job a year before I had my rise, nor did I need to make a case to move over and up, it just happens automatically. My increment date changed from the day I started in the NHS as a band 5 to the day my band 6 started and I just move up the points as normal.

TheFurryMenace Sat 17-Sep-16 19:33:34

Thanks, maybe a bit ambitious to ask for 2 points up, but confident in asking for 1. Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now