Job Interview - Help Please! Marketing..

(11 Posts)
Wearyandfeelingold Thu 15-Sep-16 11:37:06

Hi,
I applied for a job and had my first interview last week. It all went well and now they have called me back for a second one which involves a presentation. This is freaking me out a bit as it has been so long since I have had to do one of those. The company is very digital and sells a lot online (worldwide)...and they have asked me to do a presentation on how I would celebrate the company's big anniversary next yr to increase sales and develop the brand. I know it has a lot to do with website, digital, social media etc and that's what worries me....I am feeling old and not up to date as the young people on this. Any ideas? I just feel like I have lost all confidence in myself and think I am too old for the job.
TIA.

manandbeast Thu 15-Sep-16 23:11:15

Hello, I'm happy to try to help.
In a sense you need to set some targets.
If they're selling online the goal for you will all be about acquiring new customers at a viable cost.

It might be that you use offline tactics - brands like Made.com use tube advertising successfully (maybe look online for a case study) to celebrate this anniversary and send people online to buy.
Or you commission a special anniversary product, which you do lots of PR around, in order to send lots of visits to the site.
Your content strategy - blog, newsletter etc can be about selling those products by talking about your anniversary.
Your social media strategy would be about customer acquisition again (and you'd give it some kind of campaign idea that ties to your other tactics) but probably invest some money in paid social.
Plus Adwords and or retargeting.

The last 2 are reasonably technical so don't worry too much about getting your head into those if they feel like a different language.

Good luck!!

Wearyandfeelingold Fri 16-Sep-16 10:46:59

Hi manandbeast,

Thank you so much for your reply. It is a long time since I did my degree and everything is so digital now that I feel lost. When I went for my interview they said that although I was not as strong on the digital side, there were other things that I was good at, events, copy writing etc. Do you think I should solely concentrate on the digital side. In my presentation I was going to do digital, like social media competitions etc, newsletter which would take people to the website, but was also going to organise an event.. (they also have a retail store) as a thank you to local community for their support etc?
Ah! I am beginning to wondering why I applied for this. I have been in my own job for so long now that I think I lack any confidence!
Thanks again for your help.

manandbeast Sat 17-Sep-16 08:31:25

I think what you have suggested sounds good.

It's all about getting people into the shop or online store using a mix of traditional and digital tactics ( exactly as you describe) at a low enough cost.

How are you feeling about it?

notaflyingmonkey Sat 17-Sep-16 08:38:44

I would suggest: we look at the channels that our audiences use, and develop ways to increase our engagement with them on those channels. Look at current analytics on said channels, and plot reviews as part of the planned content across the period, where you see what people are liking, retweeting etc.

If you are doing promotional activities, then what you really want to do is get people's contact details so that you can build you database, so webforms, etc.

notaflyingmonkey Sat 17-Sep-16 08:41:11

And should have said .. I agree that your suggestion of mixing online and offline is good, but if I was a cold hearted corporate type I'd be thinking, but what's in it for us? So think about ways that any offline promotionals can give you leads.

And good luck!

manandbeast Sat 17-Sep-16 09:00:39

Monkey - they have a physical store which is where OP is suggesting they hold the event. So surely that's a decent selling opportunity in itself and a good reason to do the event she suggests?

Plus she should include a way to capture data (email addresses?)

Wearyandfeelingold Mon 19-Sep-16 11:35:25

Hi manandbeast and notaflyingmonkey,

Thank you both for your suggestions - definitely going to talk about the digital strategy as this is obviously the way forward and will also talk about using a mix of old and new as they have a retail store, so if we can give them an incentive to get into store, once they are in we have the opportunity to upsell to them. Who knows if I am on the right wavelength but if nothing else it will give me the opportunity to do a presentation (Which I am going to keep simple) in a job interview situation...as it has been a very long time since I have did that.
Thanks again for your help.

notaflyingmonkey Mon 19-Sep-16 12:32:53

Hi weary what I should have said was that the very fact that you got an interview and have been called back is brilliant. I'm sure that you will do well, and even if you don't get the job, the experience will do wonders for your confidence.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on x

Wearyandfeelingold Mon 19-Sep-16 13:12:45

Hi notaflyingmonkey,
Yes I am pleased about being called back...and definitely agree that it will do wonders for my self confidence even if I don't get the job. I have been reading up on googleadwords....and could you clarify something for me....do you set a daily budget as well as the maximum you want spend on your pay per click?? I have to devise a budget for the googleads and no idea how to work it out. Thank you. x

notaflyingmonkey Tue 20-Sep-16 18:27:30

Hiya - sorry, I don't use Googleadwords myself, but yes, I'm fairly sure that you can do a daily budget. Worth being as specific as possible in the keywords, reach etc though, otherwise the money will go quickly and not necessarily on your target group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now