Take a salary cut for less stressful job?

(5 Posts)
Bouncearound Mon 12-Sep-16 13:39:12

I work part time in a stressful job, managing staff, budgets, day to day operations and due to the nature of the role pretty much always 'on call' and expected to be available at all times. I only get paid for 11 hours per week but always do lots more in small chunks of time, day and evenings. I have a degree in this line of work and am paid reasonably well but it's difficult managing it alongside three dc, dh working away and/ or long hours and the day to day work itself.

I've found a job that I could do easily but it pays around 20% less, albeit more hours so I would still earn slightly more. However, this is definitely not a good career move and would be the 'easy' option. Also, it would be difficult to fill my current post and due to the nature (sorry for being vague but it's a charity) several other people's jobs could be at risk if im not there. I've also put so much blood sweat and tears into the job and made it successful that it would be hard to walk away from it.
However, I just feel exhausted by it all and have had enough of it completely. There are constant demands, politics and issues to be dealt with, financial pressures and I never get to fully switch off.

Anyone have a gut instinct on what avenue to go down?!

RowenaDahl Mon 12-Sep-16 13:48:47

Have you sat down and worked out what your hourly rate is in your current job based on the hours that you 'really' work (obviously more than 11!)? How does this compare to the hourly rate of the new job based on the contracted hours? I would hazard a guess that it will be the same or less. How do you feel about it now?

I went from a job with a really nice boss/team, no overtime, no stress, manageable workload, etc. to a much more prestigious role with a very important boss, bigger salary and much more prestige working long hours. It was awful and when I worked out the hourly rate I was earning less than my old doddly job. Needless to say, I left shortly after as I decided it just wasn't worth it.

RowenaDahl Mon 12-Sep-16 13:53:45

Also, when I want to make a decision I always ask myself what do I 'need' now? It sounds like you need less time worrying about your job and more time focusing on your children. Can you do something similar somewhere else? Perhaps the new job isn't right anyway if it would be career suicide?

WhoisLucasHood Mon 12-Sep-16 13:55:48

I've recently taken a small pay cut to move to a less stressful job and commute. It was the best decision I've made. I've assurances that my pay will increase so financially short term loss for long term gain. I did love my old job and the people I worked with but the commute was a pita, the change has done me some good.

It sounds like you are ready to leave tbh, once you get in that frame of mind it's really difficult to enjoy what you do. If you can afford to do so, I'd recommend it.

WhoisLucasHood Mon 12-Sep-16 13:57:44

Personally I'd try to get an interview, you can decide then if the company / role is right for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now