Public sector - confidentiality re: applying for internal positions

(4 Posts)
tropicalstorm Tue 06-Sep-16 20:54:21

I'm working in a public sector role, within a large organisation.

A couple of months ago, I applied for an internal vacancy, in another department.

I know that the application I submitted was sub par and knew at the time, had a lot going on and not enough time to commit to it by the deadline. So wasn't at all suprised when I didn't get invited for interview.

Then, not long after my current boss held an annual performance review. In it I received a 100% positive review. Not one thing I could improve on. I had put together a detailed plan for how to stretch myself and meet objectives for the next year, contributing to the job/department I currently do, this was met with approval.

However, when it got to the bit in the review about the future, my boss simply said she wasn't going to waste training budget on someone who was going to leave.

I fudged the response to this in the meeting.

Since then, all I can think is that internally someone from the other department has informed my boss that I applied for the job. There are people who know my boss from there, so it isn't a far stretch of the imagination. Though I would be shocked if they did this and would never have put in an internal application if I thought for a second that was going to happen.

I haven't applied for any other vacancies, internal or external since starting there.

So questions: reading this, do you think I'm paranoid that someone told my boss about the job application, and if you think that sounds like a reasonable conclusion and work in the public sector, are there not laws that should protect my confidentiality in a situation like this? - or at least best practice? - HR isn't my area. i'm concerned that even if I stay in my current role now, it appears to have jeopardised my career anyway.

Calaisienne Tue 06-Sep-16 23:58:05

I'm in the civil service, when any of my staff apply for an internal job I get an automatic notification that they have applied (although not details of the post). I have to reply if they are not employed by me, or are on a disciplinary or warning for anything (misconduct, sickness etc)if they are not then I can ignore the request. Very standard practice.

However I do not use that information to refuse future training, but ask them what it is that they are looking for as a development opportunity, not a stick to beat them with. (I usually know anyway as they ask me to help with their applications!)

I wouldn't see this as a breach of confidentiality, but as poor management by your boss

hugoagogo Thu 08-Sep-16 20:16:27

I would just assume my line manager would be informed, so wouldn't be worried re confidentiality.
He does however sound like an enourmous arse!
I think you should ask for a meeting with his line manager to discuss the training issue.

hugoagogo Thu 08-Sep-16 20:17:22

She, sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now