Need advice please

(5 Posts)
StressedNHSemployee Tue 06-Sep-16 07:26:09

I have worked in the same department for 15 years. Throughout this time our rota has been released 6-8wks ahead.

A new matron has arrived and has reduced our rota down to 4 weeks. Except it isnt 4 weeks, currently I have this particular week and 2 more - so in reality it is 3 weeks.

I am other staff are so stressed by this as it is not giving us much notice to plan our lives outside of work - namely for me childcare. I don't have set shifts as I can be flexible as long as I have notice of what I am working so I can book after school club and so my DH can leave his work early to collect the children.

Is there an overall NHS policy that states what the minimum must be? Our HR is useless and when I phoned them, they did not even know if there was an in-trust policy. The one I did find stated 6 weeks but the Matron is not abiding by it.

Due to previous experience with HR I do not expect them to back the staff if we raise this issue so I am at a loss as to what we can do.

I am so so stressed by this.

LunaLoveg00d Tue 06-Sep-16 07:37:17

Why can't you (or a group of you) go to see the Matron and explain why the changes are causing you problems? Always better to try to resolve things face to face first rather than rushing off to HR.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Tue 06-Sep-16 07:45:51

Sadly there is no pan-NHS policy on this (or anything I expect).
Who is it who puts your rota together? Is It then the matron who authorises it or is it a manager senior to them?

QuiteLikely5 Tue 06-Sep-16 07:51:32

Approach the matron and explain your predicament any reasonable boss would respond positively

StressedNHSemployee Tue 06-Sep-16 13:18:14

Our Matron is not approachable. She is very headstrong and us speaking to her won't change anything.

All that will happen is that our "cards will be marked " and she'll make things unpleasant.

The rota is organised by the b7 but Matron has to approve it before it is released.

She has also made the rule that unless all unsociable shifts are covered i.e by people doing extra - she won't approve it either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now