What to say at interview about sickness absence?

(4 Posts)
TheColourIsGreen Sun 04-Sep-16 17:52:51

I was absent from work for 6 months. My absence was as a result of a mental illness which developed as a direct result of the actions of a colleague and then the further mishandling of the situation by my employer.

Eventually my employer agreed a financial settlement with me and paid me to leave.
This agreement includes a confidentiality agreement so I cannot elaborate further on the nature of the incident.
I would have preferred to keep my job but ultimately I was so ill and all of this was tied in to my place of work that there was no realistic prospect of me returning to work in the short term and taking the settlement seemed the best option.

My reference was also part of the settlement thank heavens that my solicitor had the foresight to request this.

I have recovered now and started applying for jobs, I have some interviews soon, none of these employers have asked about my sickness absence so far and it won't be included in my reference.

If my interviews are successful and my potential new employer asks my former employer directly about sickness absence I'm assuming my former employer would answer this?

Would it be best to face this head-on in interview and explain what happened?
Or would I seem like a trouble maker? I really am not
How much detail should I give them?

Thank you.

Tinklypoo Sun 04-Sep-16 18:09:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheColourIsGreen Sun 04-Sep-16 19:52:58

Thank you.
In all of this I've felt like I was alone, stupidly it didn't occur to me that this happens often. I'm sorry Tinkly, I wouldn't have wished these circumstances on anyone, it's great that you sound content now.

I was leaning towards telling the truth so that's good advice flowers

Tinklypoo Sun 04-Sep-16 20:04:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now