Surveillance at work?

(3 Posts)
Kaylajade21 Mon 22-Aug-16 18:14:45

Ladies please help!! So my boss is a vile individual to say the least. I work in a pub kitchen, anyway he has cctv camera everywhere which ive read this is legal. But he'll zoom into them on us aswell as watch them back. Its also come to light that he has microphones, is this legal? Im 22 and do not feel comfortable there what so ever! Along with his jokes about taking my top off when im too hot and telling me to kiss female co workers!!

EBearhug Mon 22-Aug-16 22:41:33

That last bit is sexual harassment for sure - keep a log of all events.

I'm not sure about microphones - I'm sure someone else will.

If I were you, I'd be looking for a new job.

prh47bridge Tue 23-Aug-16 07:55:20

Employers can monitor staff provided they comply with the Data Protection Act. Amongst other things that means they must have a reasonable justification for monitoring and must only use the monitoring systems for their intended purpose. So, for example, there is no problem with CCTV monitoring to prevent crime but, if that is the purpose of the system, it must not be used to check how much work staff do. Use of microphones is subject to the same rules as any other type of monitoring so it is not illegal provided the employer has reasonable justification. I struggle to see the justification for installing microphones in a pub kitchen but it is possible your boss does have a good reason.

As EBearhug says, the jokes are sexual harassment. It is possible the monitoring is also a form of sexual harassment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now