Pregnancy and work replacement

(5 Posts)
Vixxfacee Sat 20-Aug-16 23:10:38

I wondered if I could get some advice.
I can't NC on the app so will just change a few details as I know the managers wife uses the site.
I am pregnant and had to tell my work that I was at 7 weeks due to having severe sickness and I was signed off for a month.

I know they wasn't happy as I had only been there 3 months.

I came back to work and since I've been back its been pretty frosty from the manager and director (very small company). They have basically left me to get on with my work (which is fine) but hardly any interaction apart from a few phone calls. The first phone call was to find out when I'm going on maternity leave and if I know if I am coming back after.

Second phone call was again to find out the specific date I was going (I said I don't know how the pregnancy would go). Bearing in mind at this point I was 13 weeks pregnant. I was then told there was a replacement for me (had been given a contract) who would be starting 3 months before my due date.

This made me feel awkward. I have had a miscarriage before. This pregnancy is an ivf baby and I am anxious and I don't know how it will go.

Fast forward to last week (16 weeks) and the team are at a social. Managers were thanking everybody for their hard work. ( I wasn't mentioned although I've worked my absolute arse off since I've been there). My name was mentioned to say that I'm pregnant and we have a new person taking over the role. Let's welcome John and everybody clapped.

I'm only 4 months. I won't be going on maternity leave until next year yet my replacement has been announced, contracted and everybody has been told about my pregnancy.

I have an uneasy feeling that they will get rid of me and secondly I haven't even had my anomaly scan and already I've been replaced. If I was leaving next week or even next month I could understand but it's next year.

Is this just pregnancy hormones making me feel like this? I left the party early as I was upset and angry.

Vixxfacee Sun 21-Aug-16 08:46:20

Bump

RowenaDahl Sun 21-Aug-16 19:44:44

No, that's not very nice at all. No wonder you are upset. They are probably annoyed that you were only there three months before you got pregnant. Now they are making life hard in the hope that you won't return.

What are your plans? Do you want to go back?

I would just play the game. Do everything in your power to be the perfect employee. If you don't plan to go back then you only have up to maternity leave. If you do go back then start looking for a job as soon as you are back from maternity leave.

I only work for employers who treat me as I would treat staff. Putting up with anything less just makes me miserable.

Vixxfacee Sun 21-Aug-16 20:23:39

Thank you for replying Rowena.
I just feel like they are going to get rid of me hence introducing the new person already. I am not sure I would go back after this!

AStayAtHomeCEO1 Sun 21-Aug-16 22:28:16

Hello,

This is a truly horrendous situation to find yourself in, at ABSOLUTELY NO FAULT OF YOUR OWN. What you are describing is pregnancy and maternity discrimination, which is illegal (yet tens of thousands of women each year - in the UK alone - have to go through this).

I'm writing a book on maternity discrimination as well as lobbying Scottish and UK Governments to do something about this situation. I am interviewing women from across the world and would be very happy to talk with you. It's completely confidential and your full anonymity is guaranteed.

If you'd like to chat more please contact me through my website astayathomeceo.com/maternity-discrimination/

If you don't want me to interview you but would like some guidance on how/where can help you, I'm happy to share that with you too.

Pregnancy hormones are not the problem here and neither are you.

I hope to hear from you but if I don't, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Emma Walker

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now