Terrified to tell my boss I quit

(20 Posts)
Noodledoodle123 Fri 19-Aug-16 23:33:55

I'm leaving a job 2 months in, because the working environment is awful and I don't want to be there. I'm planning to quit next week.

However, I'm bloody terrified to tell my boss I quit. She's very snappy and I can imagine her going mad. Even if she doesn't I'm imagining her trying to talk me out of it. I hate conflict.

Even though they have been absolute bastards I do understand the problem I'm causing by leaving as they are a husband and wife team and currently so understaffed it's just me. What do I do? Lie? Or just say "it's not for me.." But then I worry about them saying I owe them money because they've trained me (they said something similar in the contract) is that even legal?

Current plan is to politely say that I don't feel I'm enjoying my job and that I couldn't commit long term. Do I tell her first thing in the morning or last thing?

PovertyPain Fri 19-Aug-16 23:35:54

Put it in writing and hand it two her, at the end of day and run like the clappers walk out.

PovertyPain Fri 19-Aug-16 23:36:28

But check your spelling first. blush

Doinmummy Fri 19-Aug-16 23:36:31

You need to put it in writing, give the date of your last day, keep it short and to the point .

Couchpotato3 Fri 19-Aug-16 23:36:40

Personally I'd tell her last thing before leaving, then you won't have to put up with he fallout all day.
It's not your problem if they are left short-handed when you leave. If the working environment is awful, you probably aren't the first person to have quit.

Chippednailvarnishing Fri 19-Aug-16 23:37:48

I think I would start by reading the contract before doing anything, you need to make sure you are following the terms correctly.

SharonfromEON Fri 19-Aug-16 23:37:52

I am not an expert but do check your contract on training..

Noodledoodle123 Fri 19-Aug-16 23:42:13

The contract basically says that they have a right to deduct reasonable costs for training me which makes me laugh seeing as I got two days. I'm leaving day after pay day, I shan't think they'll bother coming after me. Hopefully confused

ImperialBlether Fri 19-Aug-16 23:52:46

I suppose if you left immediately after training, they might have a point. How long ago was the training?

Noodledoodle123 Sat 20-Aug-16 00:00:06

I had about 2 days of 'training' where they basically told me what to do and left me completely alone to work it out, two months ago. At this point, I don't mind if they want two days wages. i'll just pay it back. I just don't know how to tell my boss sad

PitchFork Sat 20-Aug-16 00:07:13

so not training, but induction really

ImperialBlether Sat 20-Aug-16 00:21:01

No, don't pay that back. That's just training you to do the job - induction as PitchFork says. If they'd trained you up, with qualifications, and you'd immediately left there might be a problem, but not in this case.

SharonfromEON Sat 20-Aug-16 22:38:11

I agree this isn't training.. Training that is repayable would be a qualification which you use to do a higher qualified job not induction.

Yes a letter at end of day...

You don't even need to explain. A formal letter. Be polite.

AS pp poster said they are short staffed because of environment so they are either blissfully unaware ( in which case leave them in ignorance) or they know it and won't care you can't hack it.

HerdsOfWilderbeest Sat 20-Aug-16 22:43:05

Tell her you would like her to respect your confidentiality, that you have had a huge win on the lottery and that you don't need to work any more. Hint that you are considering giving her some of your winnings as a thank you, but will make your final decision once you've left.

Catinthecorner Sat 20-Aug-16 23:02:07

Last thing before the end of the day, be brief and polite, remember you don't have to excuse yourself. Something like 'this isn't working for me, I'm happy to work my contracted notice, but, given how short a time I've been here you want me to leave immediately I would understand'. If they press for a reason 'this isn't working for me' is a reason, no need to expand.

QuiteLikely5 Sun 21-Aug-16 00:33:46

If it is too tricky and you aren't relying on her for a reference then I would leave a letter on her desk on your last day just before you leave

NotMe321 Sun 21-Aug-16 00:44:27

Is there a notice period in your contract? If so you need to abide by it, otherwise they could claim the cost of a temporary replacement against you.

EBearhug Sun 21-Aug-16 00:55:30

Just give the bare minimum - "I am resigning from my position. As required by my contract, I am giving one month's notice. I calculate that my last day will be ... Please let me know if you disagree."

jessmarkat Sun 21-Aug-16 18:20:42

Wow I could have written this post OP! I'm 3 months in to my new job and absolutely hate it. I'm such a coward though and also hate conflict, my boss is a complete cow. I am going to quit tomorrow, good luck x

RowenaDahl Sun 21-Aug-16 19:38:28

If they ask for a reason, just say it isn't working for you. This is a gem that I've used a couple of times.

No need to feel guilty. If they atmosphere is awful they have no one to blame but themselves. If the shoe were on the other foot they would have no hesitation in getting rid of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now