A possibly stupid giving notice question

(6 Posts)
SarfEast1cated Fri 05-Aug-16 22:58:24

I haven't done it for over 16yrs so am a bit out of practice. I need to start my new project on the 9th September. I have to give one months notice. When should I hand in my letter? 8th August? or is 4 weeks and therefore 12th August? I can't work it out <scratches head>.
Thanks for you help (and not mocking my ignorance)...

MrsJoeyMaynard Fri 05-Aug-16 23:04:03

I'd hand it in on the 8th August in case it is a calendar month rather than 4 weeks.

SarfEast1cated Fri 05-Aug-16 23:34:58

They have already filled my position with an internal person so they don't really need time to recruit...

flowery Sat 06-Aug-16 05:26:15

Whether it's a month or 4 weeks will be in your contract so that's easy for you to check and not something we can advise you on.

But I'm confused- why wait? If they've replaced you they know you're going so why leave it? Just hand it in now, specifying an end date of 8 September. There's nothing stopping you giving more notice than you have to.

SarfEast1cated Sat 06-Aug-16 09:08:09

I have some treatment scheduled on my private health insurance, and as soon as I give my notice in the cover stops. Therefore I want to leave it as long as possible really.

flowery Sat 06-Aug-16 09:09:59

Ok well in that case check your contract. If it says a month, 8 August, if it says 4 weeks then 12 August.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now