Mat leave - work want return date

(7 Posts)
TheRedWoman Tue 02-Aug-16 14:46:57

Hello,

Looking for some advice as to how to respond to any email. I am 18 weeks pregnant with DC2. Work have already asked me to confirm my plans, so I sent a letter confirming all relevant information, including mat leave start date. I then stated something along the lines of 'I understand I am entitled to 52 weeks maternity leave, therefore the latest I can return to work is X date. If I would like to return sooner I will give you a minimum of 8 weeks notice.'

Work have subsequently emailed me to confirm my return date. I am a little frustrated as I thought my letter was clear enough plus I believe they should assume I will be off for full period?

To put this into context, with DC1, work persuaded me to confirm my return date in advance, which I soon realised was a mistake as (once baby arrived) I wanted longer off than the 26 weeks initially agreed. I extended my mat leave by another 8 weeks, which didn't go down well. This time I would rather them work to worse case scenario of 1 year off.

Can anyone advise me how to respond?
Should I just say 'I am not in a position to confirm my return date yet, so please assume I will be off for the full 52 weeks period and if I wish to return sooner I will give you appropriate notice'.

Sorry to ramble, I work for a private company who often do things their way. I kinda want to enforce the point that they shouldn't be asking but I do realise work need to plan too.

dementedpixie Tue 02-Aug-16 16:47:35

Yes that response sounds fine and leaves your options open

HuckleberryGin Tue 02-Aug-16 16:50:03

Yep, they have to assume you will take 52 weeks, unless you say otherwise or give 8 weeks notice.

Your response sounds fine.

TheRedWoman Tue 02-Aug-16 17:40:18

Thanks for your replies, will send an email this evening.

AllChangeLife Tue 02-Aug-16 18:05:55

I'd put my return date as what it would be if you took 52 weeks off (rather than saying you can't confirm) but then state that this is subject to change and if you do wish to return any earlier then you will give them 8 weeks notice.

dementedpixie Tue 02-Aug-16 18:20:01

Think she already did that in the original notification

TheRedWoman Tue 02-Aug-16 20:02:24

Hi All, yes that's what I did in my original letter, which is why I'm slightly irritated that I am being asked to confirm a date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now