Moving back into old line of work

(4 Posts)
kernowgal Wed 27-Jul-16 19:45:15

I changed career completely back in 2009 - I love what I do (gardening) but opportunities for progression are non-existent at my current organisation and I am also finding that physically it is starting to take its toll. The work can be repetitive and I am feeling unchallenged. Additionally there are few similar jobs available in the local area and I am not in a position to move.

An interesting job has come up in a nearby city and I am going to apply, but am not sure how to frame my application to show I have the skills they need but not much in the way of recent experience, and also why I want to go in a new [old] direction. It is a job with lots of opportunities for progression, and I am itching to get stuck into something with a bit of pressure and thinking on my feet.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

8angle Thu 28-Jul-16 11:53:56

I think you should explain in a cover letter to the application that you previously worked in a similar role and the experience you had then (be brief as it will all be on your CV), that you decided on a career change to Gardening in 2009 but you now want a " job with lots of opportunities for progression, and I am itching to get stuck into something with a bit of pressure and thinking on my feet!"

8angle Thu 28-Jul-16 11:54:05

good luck!

kernowgal Thu 28-Jul-16 16:49:58

Thanks! It is an online application so it'll all have to be in my supporting statement as the system doesn't let you put duties etc in with employment history. So I've got to write a shit-hot supporting statement. I've got a friend who works in a similar environment so will ask her to check it over to see if she'd consider my application.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now