Ask about salary before interview or not?

(11 Posts)
RichardBucket Wed 20-Jul-16 18:19:02

I have an interview next week. It all sounds very promising and it's everything I want... except the job description doesn't list a salary. I had a phone call with the HR assistant. I had a phone call with the person who would be my manager. Now I'm not sure if I've left it too late and I'll look stupid for asking at this stage. :/

Salary IS a deal breaker. I just can't take less than I'm currently on, and I don't want to waste anyone's time with a pointless interview.

I know I sound terribly naive but it's so long since I applied for jobs that I don't know the etiquette.

WWYD?

AyeAmarok Wed 20-Jul-16 18:35:46

Ask.

Of course it's a key consideration, you need to be able to afford to live!

If you have an email address for HR then email them and ask them what the salary is.

They'll be expecting you to ask!

And don't let them fob you off with a reversal of the question "what's your current salary/what are your expectations?"

Ilovewillow Wed 20-Jul-16 19:06:38

Definitely ask beforehand! E-mail and ask for the salary range if you don't want to be specific, they are not going to be unduly concerned. Odd that they haven't told you already as we would all love a job we enjoy with career progression etc but usually the salary has a pretty big baring on the decision !

condaleeza Wed 20-Jul-16 19:24:07

You are in a much stronger position to negotiate salary once you have been offered the job. You can always turn it down if the salary offer is too low.

Hensintheskirting Wed 20-Jul-16 19:30:32

Ask beforehand. If it's not a good enough salary you don't want to be wasting your time going through the interview process. Agree with PP, email, restate your interest in the role and enquire about the salary.

JeSuisLeLoup Wed 20-Jul-16 19:36:48

Definitely ask. You will be wasting your time and theirs if it's not in your ball park

AyeAmarok Wed 20-Jul-16 19:38:54

Do you think a man would spend time preparing for an interview and going to an interview without having any idea of the salary?

No, course he wouldn't. Nor should you!

RichardBucket Wed 20-Jul-16 19:43:40

Thanks all. Have emailed to ask. smile

AyeAmarok I am ALWAYS telling my female friends that in work situations! "Would a man do X?" or "Would a man hesitate to do X?" Should practice what I preach, huh?!

EnidB Wed 20-Jul-16 19:45:14

I would ask, but be prepared for the expectations question. If you are way out, at least you could ask what you need to do qualifications / experience-wise to qualify for higher pay.
If you have been out of the interview process for a while look at it as good practice. Some of my work colleagues have been interviewing recently an I can't believe how much the process has changed!

unimagmative13 Wed 20-Jul-16 19:50:26

This bugs me about job searching!!

I went for a job same level as mine as few years ago. First interview they made it sound like they really needed my skills then second interview with MD offer me £5k less and some shady bonus scheme.

I think they wait to see if you will go in lower or are earning lower in a previous job.

Trooperslane Wed 20-Jul-16 19:59:14

I'd totally ask - no point in wasting anyone's time, especially yours since you'll be the one doing all the work for the interview.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now