Career change - job suggestions please...

(5 Posts)
SuperAwes0me Tue 19-Jul-16 20:05:01

I'm qualified as a special needs teaching assistant. Love my actual job, no issues there, the kids (even when they are challenging) are great and make it worth the crap pay. However, the school is a horrible place to work where bullying is prolific. This is the second school I've found really unpleasant and TA friends of mine tell me the culture is rife elsewhere too.
At this point I'm considering having to walk away - I'm in therapy and taking medication and not coping. What could I do instead that would utilise my skills? I'd consider re-training/uni, just don't know what direction to head in :S

rumred Thu 21-Jul-16 21:25:53

Can you get careers advice locally? Google it. Then you can consider a wide range of options. Also try some career idea quizzes, not to be relied on but may give you some new ideas

seriouslyclueless Thu 21-Jul-16 21:36:15

What about retraining as a Occupational Therapist or nurse working in Camhs.
Your skills would be great for both of those roles working with Children and young people.
Good luck, it definitely sounds as though you need to leave where you are.

Just5minswithDacre Thu 21-Jul-16 21:49:43

Yes, OT (assistant or go to uni and train as an actual OT) there are community based roles. Similarly SLT or play therapy.

Or SN nanny or childminder. Gold-dust! smile

SuperAwes0me Thu 21-Jul-16 22:09:54

Thank you, I will look into those 👍

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now