Are employers allowed to ask these questions?

(11 Posts)
Alongcomesdc2 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:19:03

I applied for a job on the weekend by emailing my CV as requested.

I've had a reply today asking me lots of questions (including what is my name hmm it's on my CV!) Such as do I have children, how old are they, are they in school yet. Is this allowed?!

lljkk Mon 18-Jul-16 20:35:53

No, not allowed.
Doesn't sound like an employer worth having.

MummyBex1985 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:37:24

Is it allowed? Yes.

Are they allowed to refuse to hire you based on your answers? No.

TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun Mon 18-Jul-16 20:38:07

Not allowed at all! Not related to job, source of potential discrimination

MummyBex1985 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:38:16

Assuming every candidate is asked the same questions, of course...

flowery Tue 19-Jul-16 06:24:56

There is no list of questions employers are not 'allowed' to ask. What they are not allowed to do is discriminate, and by asking those questions they are making themselves vulnerable to a discrimination claim. Even if they are 'fair' by asking all candidates those questions, it is unlikely they have a perfectly valid reason for asking and also unlikely they would give no weight to the answers because why ask otherwise?
I'd give them a swerve if I were you.

eurochick Tue 19-Jul-16 07:17:19

I agree with flowery.

Stillunexpected Tue 19-Jul-16 08:48:17

What kind of job is this? The questions sound very dubious. Are they of any relevance to the role at all? Is this an established company or a small trader?

Hereward1332 Tue 19-Jul-16 15:37:14

The real shame is that their discrimination is working as it's put you off applying.

In a hypothetical world, where you didn't actually need a job, I would be tempted to lie and dare them to sack or discipline me for having children when I started work.

redhat Tue 19-Jul-16 15:42:01

They can ask whatever they like. Flowery is correct. )I'm an employment lawyer)

Alongcomesdc2 Tue 19-Jul-16 17:09:54

It's for an admin job. They also asked my age too. The way it was worded was odd:
*Do you have any children?
*If yes!!! How many?

Why the need for !!! If the answer to the question was yes?

I'll def be avoiding them. Thanks for your replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now