Applying for job after compromise agreement - same company

(5 Posts)
ArseholesOnToast Sun 17-Jul-16 19:21:37

I left a large multi-site company about 5 years ago with a compromise agreement. The department I worked in was notorious for getting rid of staff with no real basis for doing so - they asked me to leave but offered no reason why. My solicitor said I could go to a tribunal but I wanted to leave so accepted the compromise agreement.

Initially the department I worked in wanted to have a clause saying I would not be allowed to work for the company again but the company's HR and my solicitor said this was unacceptable and it was agreed that it would be just my department, not that I'd want to return there anyway.

The company is a large employer with many sites and departments. I would like to apply for another job there - it is highly unlikely that I would see any old colleagues as the job is in a different site and totally independent of my previous department (higher ed institute).

On the application form they ask if you've worked for the company before and reasons for leaving. Is it worth applying for a job there or will I be not considered because I left previously with a compromise agreement? I have had a reference in the past from them but I don't need the previous department for a reference now.

windygallows Sun 17-Jul-16 19:24:34

I suppose it all depends how robust their HR department so they can track your previous employment. If it's a big multinational then I'm sure they have, although not quite sure how long they keep staff information on file.

That said are you sure you'd want to work there again? Especially with what sounds like such a toxic culture. And if you did get the job wouldn't you be worried the same thing would happen or even that you'd be 'found out' or people would find out about what happened before.

I just think if the same happened to me I wouldn't want to go near the same company. Ever. But I appreciate we can't always choose the optimum places to work.....

ArseholesOnToast Sun 17-Jul-16 23:20:04

Thanks for the reply windy

Not sure if it would be worth even applying as I know HR is pretty robust although my agreement did not exclude me from applying for different departments. Within the different schools/depts (it's a higher education institute) cultures are different and my old dept was renowned for treating staff appallingly.

It's only a temporary contract which is what I want at the moment and it's well paid, I suppose I was wondering if anyone knew if a compromise agreement was an automatic rejection to further employment? The application process is lengthy and I didn't want to waste my time.

windygallows Sun 17-Jul-16 23:23:22

If it didn't say anything in the compromise agreement then there's nothing stopiping you except your own sanity!

Out of interest this wasn't a HEI in Scotland was it. They are depressingly poorly managed.

Truckingalong Sun 17-Jul-16 23:32:58

Why on earth would you consider returning? A compromise agreement is a pretty final parting. It's not vr or cr- it's the company actively getting you out. I can't imagine that you'd even get to interview stage tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now