Is this discrimination/disadvantaged

(3 Posts)
Annoyedaboutwork Mon 04-Jul-16 21:12:49

I've name changed just in case I get identified and linked to my main username. I'll try to be as concise as possible.

I'm currently on maternity leave and have kept in touch with my employers regularly throughout. Prior to going on maternity leave I was regularly performing duties above and beyond my role and was (I believe) highly regarded by the managers I work alongside of.

During a recent kit day where I was discussing a return later in the year and potential roles (someone else is currently filling my role) my manager made me aware of a vacancy a level above me. I discussed this role with the team manager and was told they would love me on their team but they are seeking experience that no one in the company currently has so that the newly appointment team member can also train the rest of the team. Due to this I did not apply but was told to keep asking about vacancies in the future as again they would welcome me on that team.

I also suggested I could take on team leader type role part time to support my manager with the newly expanded team as prior to going on maternity leave I had already demonstrated the ability to do the types of activities that would be involved (and this was acknowledged by senior management). My manager said this was a good idea and that they would discuss it with senior management and then we could go from there.

I've now found our that two of my colleagues at the same level have interviewed today for the promotion and so would I be wrong to expect that if the job criteria had changed they should have informed me? They will get an outcome this week apparently. I'm really frustrated epecially as I have more experience than one of my colleagues and the same as the other.

I've also found out that another colleague has been promoted to a team leader role who has less experience than me and has been at the business less than half the time I have.

Does the above sound like I have been disadvantaged due to being on maternity leave or is it just one of those things? And if it does sound that way what could I do about it?

Thanks in advance if you made it this far!

MummyBex1985 Tue 05-Jul-16 20:51:55

Yes, you would have had the legal right to be notified of the vacancy and/or change in criteria.

Would be worth a grievance if you're prepared to rock the boat!

Annoyedaboutwork Tue 05-Jul-16 22:08:14

Thank you... I wasn't sure if I was just being a little sensitive and if I had any cause to pursue it further. Definitely worth thinking about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now