Reducing hours at work due to health

(3 Posts)
shiningstar2013 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:09:52

Hi 3 months ago i was diagnosed with graves disease which is an autoimmune condition that affects the thyroid. Ive struggled along in work for the past 3 months but I don't think I can carry on working the hours I do much longer.

My health is suffering, I'm getting very stressed which is not helping the condition.

Im hoping to drop my hours (not sure by how much yet) just wondered if anyone can give me advice on how to go about this.

Thanks 😊

OhTheRoses Mon 27-Jun-16 21:21:02

I can advise about both as I was diagnosed with Graves in 1992 and am an HR Manager.

Are you getting all the support you need for your Graves both medically and sociallly. I remember being horrified my body had let me down and I needed drugs. The British Thyroid Foundation is a,fabulous resource and some counselling might be helpful to help you come to terms with being diagnosed with a chronic disease. Having said that it's a very manageable disease and once I came to terms,with it, it never stood in my way.

With my HR hat on can you be honest and open with your employers and perhaps ask for a referral to OHP. I'd hope you could all work together to negotiate reduced hours (perhaps to 3 or 3.5 days for six to eight weeks with a temporary reduction in remuneration). At the end of that time you could return on a phased,basis working back up to full time over four weeks. I think that would be a reasonable temporary adjustment while the meds get to work and you come to terms with the diagnosis.

I wish you well and am sure this will all turn out OK. Please pm me if you need to and I'll do my best to support you.

With love, Roses.

LeoTimmyandVi Fri 01-Jul-16 20:33:25

Hi,

Are you looking to drop your hours permanently or just until you can see how the medication helps?

You could ask for a temporary amendment to your contract to drop a certain number of hours for say 6 months. You could then decide whether to make that permanent or to gently increase to full time.

Just a thought, have you looked at PIP. This is a non means tested benefit to help with your additional care needs due to your condition. It may help to fill the drop in money that dropping hours may cause. It is not an easy benefit to claim, but if you do decide to claim I would strongly advise speaking to the CAB or local advice agency for support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now