Jury Duty

(14 Posts)
MissCalamity Sat 25-Jun-16 15:14:19

Hi,
What happens when an employee at your place of work has been summoned for Jury Duty? Does your company pay them or not?

I want to gather a few options as our procedure for Jury Duty isn't very clear & I'm given various different stories as to how it's normally dealt with.

Thanks grin

KittensandKnitting Sat 25-Jun-16 15:19:01

Jurors can claim for loss of earnings and expenses, so you don't have to pay them, but many do if it's just a few days. But it can last for months and months.

If you don't want to then you complete a Certificate of Loss of Earnings it arrives with the notice to the employee, the employee won't miss out and might even give them an incentive to defer...

RNBrie Sat 25-Jun-16 15:23:19

My company pay you in full for two weeks jury service because what you can claim back is nowhere near what your loss of earnings would be.

None of the expenses you can claim are realistic, I think I was given £2.50 an hour for childcare for two children.

MissCalamity Sat 25-Jun-16 16:10:30

Thanks. Our normal procedure was to fill in the loss of earnings form.
I can't imagine our place going for paying for employees whilst on Jury Duty but there will be some employees on the "salaried" payroll who earn over the maximum daily allowance, but then it's one rule for one....confused
We also have an attendance bonus which going on Jury Duty would decrease, so that's also an added minefield!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 25-Jun-16 16:17:32

I've done it twice, at two workplaces. Both salaried professional jobs.

The first (large multinational) paid the difference between my salary and what I could claim. The second (small local business where I only work very part time) decided it was easier to pay me in full than mess about with payroll. They were aware that I had a strong case for not getting onto a long trial as I am the main carer for a (then) primary school aged child with autism. None of my other colleagues have been called.

KittensandKnitting Sat 25-Jun-16 20:13:38

I thought you got the full amount that's shocking if you don't! What the hell do you do if your stuck there for six months and £2.50 for childcare I'm so shocked by this.

Ilovewillow Sat 25-Jun-16 20:30:36

As small employers we pay the difference over and above the allowance so ensure our employees aren't disadvantaged.

Daffodil90 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:33:57

Wow, £2.50?! That's crazy.

Interesting that's not the first time I've heard of someone who's been called up more than once. Ive never been called nor has DH.

RNBrie Sat 25-Jun-16 20:35:02

Having small children in childcare would probably excuse you from a long trial.

When I was on jury service the judge told us how long the case was likely to last and asked if anyone would have difficulty with it. One person said they would and was excused and went back into the jury room to wait to get picked for another case, it was very informally handled.

MissCalamity Sat 25-Jun-16 20:40:10

Does anyone know what the maximum daily allowance that the court pays?

I've never been called up for it either, my colleague has twice!

museumum Sat 25-Jun-16 20:43:17

For self employed people loss of earnings was under £100/day. I can't remember exactly. I charge three times that per day which equates to about a £25k salary so it's a pittance!!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 25-Jun-16 20:43:46

On my second stint I noticed on the first morning that there were a lot more of us than the last time. Then they announced a 12 week trial and called about 50 of us, obviously most got off. I followed it on the news, it went on from May to Sept. I did a case that only lasted 4 days. In chatting to the other jurors on that one I found out that more thsn half of us had done it before.

bookishandblondish Sat 25-Jun-16 21:07:52

I've been summoned - my company has said they pay in full.
Most if not everyone in our company earn substantially more than the daily allowance though (£32.95 for four hours: £64.95 for over four hours for first ten days)

But I will be expected to work around it and keep in touch.

Shakey15000 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:07:47

I've never been called either yet an old manager of mine was summoned twice, possibly thrice. And I used to live a hop, skip and a jump from a famous Crown Court. <useful>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now