can I ask for a pay rise

(1 Post)
eatyourveg Wed 22-Jun-16 21:49:26

The company I work for created a new role last year and slotted it into an exisiting pay band and gave it the lowest spine point in the band - fixed term for a year, they advertised the role 3 times and no-one applied so in the end because I knew a lot about what the role involved from previous jobs I have had, I said I would do it but only on a p/t basis

one year on the company is restructuring and the post is being made permanent and the role expanded across a group of sister companies - no extra pay rise, same spine point. I have been ringfenced to it as per my contract from last year. I have found a colleague willing to job share and the company seems ok with it. Its simply too big a job to do p/t and I don't want f/t

Question is, as the role comes at a fixed spine point, if I ask to go up a spine point based on last years productivity and my skills and knowledge and that I would have to train the person doing my job share and the fact that no-one has expressed an interest in it f/t - would the other job share person have to go up a spine point too? There is no performance related pay at the moment in my bit of the group although in sister companies there is a twice yearly opportunity for salary review, my company has no obvious way to progress within the payband but as I will be working across the group I assume I get the same opportunities as the sister companies ie I can ask for a pay review? But if I do, am I effectively negotiating a pay rise for my colleague too who has no experience, no training and less knowledge about the role?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now