TTC & worried about work

(3 Posts)
Beckyloulou100 Sat 18-Jun-16 07:45:33

Hello! This is my first post on MN so bear with me!

I hope someone can offer some advice.
I've been in my office job for less than a year. I started in November. I've since passed my probation etc. and no one seems to have any issues with my performance.

DH and I are desperate to start a family. I have been broody for years. However, I am worried that falling pregnant before I have completed 2 years' of service might mean they could make me redundant whilst on maternity/ the lead up to maternity leave. It petrifies me but at the same time, I just want to try for a baby now!

Can anyone offer advice? Does the 2 years service matter? When I started my boss commented that pregnant women need 2 years service to receive full maternity rights but I have read conflicting information online.

Thank you.

LIZS Sat 18-Jun-16 07:50:35

You cannot be dismissed because of the pg but you could, for business or discipline reasons. They may have their own maternity policy or top up maternity pay for which you need 2 years' service to benefit but your statutory rights to SMP , leave etc are protected by law and you already qualify. Do you have an intranet as the policy should be on there.

Carterama Sat 18-Jun-16 07:51:53

Your maternity rights start from day 1, although your employer may have an enhanced maternity pay package and it may be that you have to be in employment for 2 years before this is paid, this is usually calculated based on the date you start maternity leave.

You cannot be sacked or made redundant because you are pregnant, although you can be sacked or made redundant whilst you are pregnant, so long as pregnancy is not the reason. In my experience, most employers are very scared of dismissing pregnant employees.

Good luck with ttc flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now