Pro rata holidays

(6 Posts)
originalmavis Mon 30-May-16 15:53:59

I'm trying to work out holiday pay entitlement.

I got a set number of holidays at work but a number of these had to be taken on specific religious days when the office shut.

I am leaving the job (it is part time) and am just working out my entitlement. Do I count the days entirely, or privileged rata, or just the ones where I would be there normally anyway? Do bank holidays count too?

flowery Mon 30-May-16 15:57:45

Assuming you are trying to work out how many days you've taken to work out how many you have left, count any days that you were not working but were paid. Whether they were religious holidays, bank holidays or 'normal' annual leave, if you were off work and being paid (and not off sick or something), they come out of your entitlement.

HopperBusTicket Mon 30-May-16 16:00:09

The way my employer works it out is to calculate my pro rata entitlement to public holidays: 0.8 * 8 days. Then calculate how many bank holidays fell on my working days. Then give or take away the difference from my pro rated annual leave entitlement. That means it's fair to employees who work Monday to Thursday (like me) as well as those who work Tuesday to Friday (say). I hope that makes sense.

originalmavis Mon 30-May-16 16:52:24

So if I leave the end of June, so halfway through the year(holiday entitlement rubs Jan - Dec), assuming I get 14 days holiday (my choice of days) plus the days off when the office is shut (8 days a year) then do I calculate my entitlement for the 6 months as 12 days, ignoring the usual bank holidays?

KP86 Mon 30-May-16 16:58:15

Is it 28 days plus BH if you are full time or have you already allowed for your part time hours?

Your entitlement will be: (28+8) X FTE (eg. 1.0, .8, .6 etc) / 2

Then deduct however much leave you've already taken this year and whatever is left should be taken before you finish or paid out on termination.

flowery Mon 30-May-16 18:50:59

What does your contract actually say about holiday entitlement, bank holidays and these additional religious holidays? It also should ideally say how holiday is calculated on termination of employment, does it say anything about that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now