Awful work environment, best way to leave?

(31 Posts)
rumred Sat 28-May-16 20:28:36

Hello all
I've been in my job a year, it's a professional middle management role, a step up for me. Main problem is I'm in a failing authority and majority of senior managers are temps. They are ruthless but clever, not bad people on the whole, but obviously no investment in the organisation. It's a real mess, at all levels actually. Lots of sickness and people leaving, plus loads of suspensions plus people 'disappearing'- probably suspended but we aren't allowed to talk about it. Proving that things are wrong and bad would be incredibly hard.
Anyway. I'm ill with it all- on anti depressants and pain killers as I'm in constant neck pain. Confidence shot- we are all overloaded, but I've felt inept due to my relative newness I think. Plus tendency to blame myself for stuff.
So. I'm tempted to resign and try agency work. Would prefer another profession but tricky at my age - I have tried.

I'm wary of posting more details, it's really quite horrible how things operate at present and I'm worried I'll 'disappear' if not careful.

Any advice please?

DarlingCoffee Sun 29-May-16 06:26:08

I would leave especially if it is making you ill. A year in a job would still look good on your CV. Can you reach out to some agencies now and test the waters re work? Good luck.

rumred Sun 29-May-16 17:02:14

Thank you. I can easily get agency work. It's just not ideal for a number of reasons. I have to give 3 long months notice so I can use that to get sorted. I do need to go, I'm just sad things are so awful and I'm jumping ship. And as I said my confidence is low. But need to get a grip and get out. The positive thinking and trying to sit out the storm aren't working

DarlingCoffee Sun 29-May-16 21:48:20

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses! I'm sure you tried you best and it sounds like it's time you looked for something new. Good luck.

greengreenten Sun 29-May-16 21:53:46

Sounds like you're lining up new work without too many worries. Why not hand your notice in and ask for an early release.

I had a 3 month notice period but was told I could go in one month once I'd handed it in. Employer knows you're not focused after notice and they can recruit quickly, hopefully. Lots of luck!

rumred Sun 29-May-16 22:33:03

It's interesting getting objective perspectives. I've felt completely trapped but it's mostly in my mind of course. I'm part time and loath to lose that, part time jobs in my sector are fairly rare. It feels like that keeps me sane in an unforgiving, unpopular environment .
Time for change. I'll draft my notice letter.

greengreenten Mon 30-May-16 06:15:47

Why not? I would draft it then sit on it for a day or two. It's another step forward and will either feel good to write it or bring it home that you really could leave.

I have to say that your health and self esteem seem to be taking a battering in your current role and that's unacceptable. You say it's not possible to sort out the problems though and only you know that. Beware, your employees may (should) try and persuade you to stay once you give notice. Be sure.

Also why not get a sports massage on your neck? I'm guessing the neck pain is from tension? If so that stores up lots of toxins which will be adding to your depressed nature.

Lots of nice pet time roles out ther with good businesses. I moved from a toxic role and found happiness (part time) smile

greengreenten Mon 30-May-16 06:17:33

Pet time?
Part time.
wink

rumred Mon 30-May-16 08:24:01

Ha pet time sounds fabulous.
You're right about the massage, I've had physio and massages in the past but need something ongoing at the moment. Thanks for reminding me, I lost sight of it.
The thought of resigning makes me feel calmer. It's absolutely the right thing to do, if I trust my gut.
Glad you got yours sorted greengreenten

greengreenten Mon 30-May-16 08:30:10

Well done, sounds like a move in the right direction. I had massages on my shoulders and neck fortnightly to get the knots out, whole area was seized up and feel much better, brighter, sleep better, less grumpy ....all good!

Don't forget that there'll be something a bit grinabout most jobs. Keep that in mind and you'll be fine. I feel positive for you.

rumred Mon 30-May-16 18:27:17

Oh god I've been in work for 30 years. The perfect job has eluded me. But I'm in social work so not surprising really.
Maybe nows the time?
Yep looking forward to some serious battering by a masseuse.
And thanks again for the input.

rumred Mon 30-May-16 18:27:51

Just need to time the resignation right...

greengreenten Mon 30-May-16 22:01:53

Oh gosh yes! The bombshell moment that starts with "can I have a word?"
shock
Glad you're being philosophical about the that dream job!
Wish you all the best. I'll watch this thread and wonder if you could come back and update us on how it went??

rumred Tue 31-May-16 10:57:43

Yes I will update, it'll be useful to document. I'm dreading going into work but will be brave and keep the future clearly in my sights. And HR advised me it's only 8 weeks notice. So the end really is in sight

greengreenten Tue 31-May-16 16:59:49

All the best! wink

SolomanDaisy Tue 31-May-16 17:02:38

I think I might have worked in the same authority! A change in senior management can make a huge difference though. Are they recruiting for permanent senior managers? If there are adverts out or close to going out, I might be tempted to wait and see what they are like.

elephantfeet Tue 31-May-16 17:10:43

I read this thinking op must be in social work. Sounds like my authority too.

rumred Tue 31-May-16 20:26:56

No permanent recruitment yet, just more extremely well paid agency managers.
I imagine there are a few authorities in similar positions...
So how do you cope elephantfeet and solomondaisy?

SolomanDaisy Wed 01-Jun-16 09:27:06

I left. I live abroad now and am self-employed!

LilianSmith Wed 01-Jun-16 13:26:28

I used to work in huge organizations before the pregnancy and it was stressful most of the time. I didn't want my child to have a depressed or just always on antidepressants mom, so I decided to try working from home and am making my own site with this drag and drop website builder now: www.templatemonster.com/moto-cms-3-templates.php. It's not difficult, doesn't take much of my time and I hope to have a worthy income from it in future.

rumred Mon 06-Jun-16 08:37:40

Didn't resign last week - boss was on holiday, obviously she didn't let us know, it meant I had an ok time as the pressure was less. She's back today so I imagine things will deteriorate again.
I've been looking into alternatives and have a few ideas, nothing definite yet. Slowly slowly...

greengreenten Tue 07-Jun-16 10:12:32

Sounds like you've had some good breathing space/thinking time. You're right. Slowly slowly.

Keep your own counsel too, don't get drawn into office chit chat about your feelings or intentions. You know that tho....smile

rumred Tue 07-Jun-16 14:14:29

I know it but I'm useless at pretending I'm ok. Seem to wear my mood on my face.

I know I need to go. It's damaging me, I went for physio, thanks to greengreenten suggestion, and she found a trapped nerve. She advised I get another job.
I've been looking into some ideas and feel more confident. I want to ensure I go at the right time

greengreenten Thu 09-Jun-16 06:14:24

Ah you're doing fine I think. It's easy for me to say "leave the job" but I know it's a big decision that only you can make at the right time and with all you need lined up ready for the immediate future.

Be easy with yourself. I expect you'll feel tonnes better for getting your neck sorted. grin

RaarSaidTheLion Sat 11-Jun-16 01:48:47

From what you've said so far, best way to leave would be quickly.

There are lots of charities that employ social workers in niche roles, what about looking there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now