bad tummy /working as a carer

(4 Posts)
honeyrose2207 Tue 24-May-16 14:09:46

Hi there,

Started as a carer a couple of weeks ago and came down with a tummy bug yesterday and given the nature of my role, I don't want to pass it on to my clients.

I'm worried that I'm going to be seen as unreliable, I love the job and don't want to lose it, the company that I work for is a good reputable company. I'm keen to get back to work, but don't want to give the vulnerable clients a nasty bug.

How long should, do I stay off work until I'm safe to go back?

If they did decided that they want to get rid of me, do I have any legal stand... I don't think it will come to that, but I am worried.

Gizlotsmum Tue 24-May-16 14:12:17

Our work place have a 48hr rule due to health risks. Give them a call and see what the policy is.

frikadela01 Thu 26-May-16 22:30:29

They likely have a 48 hour rule when it comes to sickness bugs so you'll have to stay away until you've been sickness and/or diarrhoea free for 48 hours.

I've worked in care homes and hosptials and tbh it's not that unusual for staff new to this line of work to go off in the first few months with a d&v type bug.... a bit like when you first send children to nursery and they have a constant runny nose for months. Your immune system will soon be amazing though with all the exposure to other peoples germs.

diamond457 Mon 30-May-16 14:44:56

You don't want to be passing bugs on to your clients.

I'm a carer and I called in sick this Morning and I got a nasty response. When are you coming in and how long do you think you will be sick for they asked IIn a stern tone. Ehm it's a sickness bug, your clients mean less to you than the staff. Nobody bothers as long as your there

I hate it and can't wait to leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now