Please help me with holiday proration

(8 Posts)
Monstermuncher Mon 23-May-16 16:55:05

There's a lot of information on the internet but I'm not quite getting my head around how you prorate holiday entitlement for a part time worker.

Contract is for 18 hour per week (which is 0.5 FTE). Hours are worked over 4 days. Should the annual holiday entitlement be prorated on the basis of percentage hours worked ie 50% or the number of days worked? The working hours aren't the same amount on each of the 4 days which makes things even more complicated.

Please can anyone help me with this, I have looked at this for too long for it to make sense anymore iyswim!

dementedpixie Mon 23-May-16 17:13:18

They are entitled to 100hours and 48 minutes per year. You can round that up but can't round the figure down. That gives the equivalent of 5.6 weeks holiday which is the legal holiday entitlement.

dementedpixie Mon 23-May-16 17:14:21

www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/entitlement - from this site

HunterHearstHelmsley Mon 23-May-16 17:16:04

So if you work some long and some short days and decide to take all your leave on long days it will seem as though you are getting less. If you take it all on the shorter days, it will seem like you're getting more.

Monstermuncher Mon 23-May-16 20:54:58

Thanks! These are actually my own holidays I am trying to calculate. I have been advised its a straight 50% proration and I disagree. I'm new to the job so dont want to make a huge fuss but I think the way they are calculating PT leave is incorrect

lougle Mon 23-May-16 20:58:45

The holiday should always be calculated in hours. That way, it doesn't matter if you are choosing to take all of your longer days off for holiday or all of your shorter days, you are getting the right number of hours. Whoever told you it is a straight 50% is absolutely correct.

dementedpixie Mon 23-May-16 21:33:45

Full timers working 36 hours would be entitled to 201h 36 mins so you get half that which is 100h 48 mins as I said above

IceMaiden73 Tue 24-May-16 07:51:49

If it is different hours each day then it should be done hourly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now