Am I being taken advantage of?

(9 Posts)
Ruskyrobins24 Wed 18-May-16 09:33:36

Hi all

I'm looking for some work advice .

I returned from mat leave in August 2015. Whilst I was off my manager left the company (actually all my old colleagues in the marketing dept left in the time I was away). Since I returned I have taken on his role. They have not replaced him and are not looking to replace him and I literally have all his objectives and report into my old managers boss. I now manage 2 ppl whereas before I managed none. I am always referred to as leading my dept in work emails by other snr staff. And I do this All on 3 days a week so I do work long hours and very hard to fit it all in.

I raised this in my review and asked for a patties and was given a rather meagre 4% and no change in job title. I feel this is unfair as he was a higher grade than me, had a 'head of' title and was paid more. I feel like I am being taken advantage of and that my career is stagnating.

The only glitch is that I'm now pregnant again (16 weeks) and I have told work. At the moment it's not actually financially viable for me to come back to work with childcare and commuting costs. I haven't told them this and I am going to say that I will return, to keep my options open.

I feel like they know as I'm having another baby they will not reward me for my work but my worry is if I do leave my cv looks like I've done the same role for 3 years, which isn't true. I think I've been a bit too timid in asking for too much as I was grateful they gave me 3 days a week,- and in the back of my mind I knew I would have another baby, but now I'm really frustrated!!!! Any tips

VioletBam Wed 18-May-16 09:36:15

Demand that they give you a proper title and demand more money. And when you've got it, tell them you're pregnant.

That's what a man would do.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 18-May-16 09:38:39

I'd have agreed with Violet but I think work already know that you're pregnant?

Ruskyrobins24 Wed 18-May-16 09:46:59

Yeah you're right but I've ballsed it up...I should have sorted it out before I told them. I feel like I have no leverage as I can't exactly leave... Gah I think I'm partially annoyed at myself for being too much of a scaredy cat about getting what I want!!

BeatricePotter Wed 18-May-16 19:03:15

You're between a rock and a hard place.

Stop working all the hours and do your 9 to 5 with an hour for lunch (or whatever you're contracted to work).

When things fail they will have to make some arrangements to support you/take work off you. If you aren't planning on going back then stick to your guns. You need to make this work for you until you go off on maternity leave.

BeatricePotter Wed 18-May-16 19:04:04

Be as hard on them as they have been on you.

BIWI Wed 18-May-16 19:06:28

Being pregnant makes no difference.

Go and see them. Put your case forward, calmly and rationally, and ask for the title and appropriate pay.

What have you got to lose?

VioletBam Thu 19-May-16 01:23:21

I agree with BIWI. Act as if you aren't pregnant and don't be drawn into any conversation about it. As far as the law stands, your state of pregnancy has nothing to do with anything.

You need to get a bit ballsy and hardfaced OP.

CountryLovingGirl Thu 19-May-16 06:27:47

They can't use your pregnancy against you. I would demand that tey change your job title and pay before you go on mat leave. Have you got union support?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now