I may have shot myself in the foot

(8 Posts)
gardenlover1 Wed 20-Apr-16 07:05:46

I have worked in my current position for 10 years for a massive global telecomms company. I am going to retrain to be a nurse and will start my full time course in September. I only have to give a month's notice. A few months ago one of my team members left, and a restructuring of roles was being considered. I told my manager that I planned to leave in September (if I got the right class of degree) so they would be prepared and could plan for a proper restructuring before replacing me.
Whenever my leaving is brought up I always say that it's only going to happen if I get the right degree, and I haven't told anyone officially in writing.
My manager asked my yesterday for my job description so they could start the process of getting my replacement lined up. I haven't actually given my notice in though and we are hoping to move house before I leave and I'm worried that this will all have a negative impact on my mortgage application.
Have I been stupid? I was just trying to help them out really, but I wonder if I have shot myself in the foot.
What do you think I should do?

TurnOffTheTv Wed 20-Apr-16 07:11:52

I would never have mentioned it at all I'm afraid.

akkakk Wed 20-Apr-16 07:40:01

Dear manager, thank you & really happy to help, however my plans are not 100% definite yet and I will know more on xyz date... I will make sure you know as soon as it is definite...

If your mortgage application is before you hand in your notice then you are still there... As long as you can still afford the mortgage when you leave there shouldn't be an issue...

TomTomKitten Wed 20-Apr-16 07:57:19

Ah yes, being open and honest with employers... I wouldn't bother. Have seen things like this happen numerous times.

Write the letter/email as suggested above and get your mortgage application in pronto.

Very best of luck.

flowery Wed 20-Apr-16 08:13:26

Well your manager starting a recruitment process won't affect your mortgage application obviously but it does sound a tad premature.

Nothing wrong with being open and helpful, but in a situation where your manager wants to start recruiting I would just be clear that although you hope to be in a position to resign end July/beginning August, you don't know that yet, so to avoid mucking people applying for the job about if it ends up not happening, it might be better to hold off.

gardenlover1 Wed 20-Apr-16 19:28:25

thanks everyone - you've made me feel less despairing - will send the email tomorrow smile

daisychain01 Thu 21-Apr-16 14:21:01

Benefit of hindsight and all that..... always keep your powder dry! Never divulge your personal plans, no matter how certain you are about them, because

-life happens and things that may have seemed certain, can still change
-the company one works for only ever makes plans for what is best for the company not the employee. They aren't there to do anything otherwise.

Don't worry about helping them out, do what's right for you, and your family.

unimagimative13 Thu 21-Apr-16 18:44:01

Hopefully your employer won't have to write anything to confirm that they 'don't see why they would be a change with your employment'

Getting a mortgage based on some lies is stressful (in the situation at the moment)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now