statutory adoption pay

(7 Posts)
bostonkremekrazy Mon 18-Apr-16 21:37:17

does anyone know the following:

i was on probation period in my workplace (1year!) , and not offered a permanent contract.
as i fulfilled all the criteria the workplace had to pay me statutory adoption pay from the week i finished - after several months they finally started paying me - i have had a one off payment to cover the 6 weeks at 90% of my full pay.
today i was offered another one off payment to cover the 33 weeks at £139 rather than weekly or monthly payments.

i know i will end up paying higher tax if i accept a one-off payment.

my question is if i get another job before the 33 weeks if up, will i have to pay my former workplace back any of the monies they have paid me in the one off payment?

thanks.

flowery Tue 19-Apr-16 08:47:00

Well you won't be entitled to SAP once you start work for a new employer, so yes. Ask them to pay you monthly or weekly as they (presumably) would anyone else.

wasonthelist Wed 20-Apr-16 21:15:36

If you end up paying higher tax, you will get it back - as long as you don't exceed the threshold in the tax year.

Karoleann Thu 21-Apr-16 00:14:15

They are entitled to offer a one off payment rather than a weekly one. If they did pay you weekly, then they would also liable to pay you for holiday pay over that period as well.
As was said, you can just claim the tax back.

Balletgirlmum Thu 21-Apr-16 00:22:04

You won't pay higher tax as its cumulative but you might pay higher national
Insurance.

Hayhay123 Sun 08-May-16 09:37:54

You will pay a lot more national insurance contributions than if you were paid it weekly. I work in payroll. That's a bit unfair of them.

bostonkremekrazy Sun 08-May-16 19:47:14

thanks
i have declined and so far been paid two separate payments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now