Flowery please may I pick your inestimable brain?

(6 Posts)
CinnasStarTribute Sun 10-Apr-16 14:26:14

Just a quickie, im a fulltime student uni leavel but mature, 2DS whom I got ML through work with but obv not working currently. Not in reciept of benefits but intending to claim when terms finish in May as per job center advisement.

32 weeks pg but DD will be born in 3 max. Ive up to now assumed as a student not entitled to MA through government as Not in reciept of any benefits? DP unemployed but doesnt get Job seekers due to my student allowances.

Probably not entitled to anything but it is always worth an ask! Thank youuuu flowers

flowery Sun 10-Apr-16 16:25:17

To get maternity allowance you need to have been employed/self-employed for 26 weeks of the 66 weeks before your baby is due. So if you've been working alongside studying/only started studying fairly recently and were working before that, or have worked enough weeks during university holidays to cover that, you might be, yes. You're going to need to count back 66 weeks from when baby is due, and look at what you've been doing to see if you've clocked up enough work to qualify. Have a look at this online calculator.

CinnasStarTribute Sun 10-Apr-16 16:33:55

Hmm due to xh desertion ive not worked since sept 14 as was left with two young DCs, was on benefits from when he left to December 15, will that count? Id guess not?

lougle Sun 10-Apr-16 16:50:00

MA doesn't take circumstances into consideration. You have either worked for 26 out of the last 66 weeks (with even one day in any week counting as a week's work) or you haven't. If you have, you can claim MA. If you haven't, you can't. Sorry.

I think you can claim income support between week 29 of pregnancy and the 15th week after birth, but your student status would prevent that. Once your term ends you may be able to claim income support, or they may add you on to your DP's JSA claim as a couple's claim.

CinnasStarTribute Sun 10-Apr-16 17:34:22

Im aware of claiming when term ends and weve already been advised of the joint claim etc. Lets hope its straightforward to claim as with a premature infant in NICU ill be telling them where to shove the million appointments they expect you to attend for the sake of 3 months between academic funding years!

CinnasStarTribute Sun 10-Apr-16 17:40:36

Thnaks for the advice anyhow, I was aware MA was unlikely, I will get delivery out of the way and get DD home (which may be a while) and then tackle benefits from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now