Time off for job interview with no annual leave?

(4 Posts)
TheMagicToyshop Tue 05-Apr-16 14:33:47

I'm wondering if anyone can advise - I've just been offered a job interview next week but I've already run out of my Annual Leave allocation. My current contract has just been extended for 6 months but the related leave allocation hasn't been added yet as the date of my extension period doesn't start for a couple of weeks. Can I ask my boss for a day of annual leave which can then be deducted from my new allocation? Or is there another workaround? I don't want to be dishonest.
Thanks.

pippistrelle Tue 05-Apr-16 15:56:29

Some employers allow you to borrow from future allocation but that might not apply to contract staff. Check your terms and conditions. In any event, there's a possibility you won't be there long enough to pay it back, so to speak. In these circumstances, I would ask for a day's leave without pay. (If you don't want to go down the calling in sick route. And it's to your credit that you don't.)

TheMagicToyshop Tue 05-Apr-16 16:29:10

Thanks Pippi, I've just bitten the bullet and asked my boss and I am being allowed to borrow from my future leave allocation which is quite a relief. Now I just have to worry about the interview...

pippistrelle Tue 05-Apr-16 16:47:11

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now