Are gifts from clients allowed?

(11 Posts)
Fangs4themammaries Wed 23-Mar-16 23:57:46

I know that public sector workers are not allowed to accept gifts. but what about the private sector?

HerRoyalNotness Thu 24-Mar-16 00:02:16

We aren't in our company (eng/construction) which is privately owned. Entertainment such as dinners that aren't OTT are acceptable, nothing else is. I heard the story that a very rich client had prepared as a gift a certain music player and engraved it with project name as a gift for the entire team. The company returned them.

We have had other things such as tickets to sports events offered and have been accepted but a raffle was drawn to see who would get to go.

possum18 Thu 24-Mar-16 00:03:22

Legally yes, as long as gifts are declared. I think it depends on company policy and moral obligations based on the circumstance.
As an estate agent I often got presented with gifts from buyers and sellers on exchange/completion (flowers, chocolates, wine, cards) but monetary gifts had to be declared and often not allowed to be kept. In that case, as the seller is our client and pays us, our company has a stance that it would be immoral to accept monetary gifts from a buyer (as it may raise questions of 'finders fees' and whether we presented that buyers offer in a better light than other people's based on personal monetary gain).

tigerdriverII Thu 24-Mar-16 00:06:37

Your company should have an "anti bribery policy ". Generally, thank you gift, eg a bottle of wine, etc are fine. A sunshine holiday all expenses paid: not so much.

We have to declare any gift worth more than £50. Sadly I've only had a couple of these

EBearhug Thu 24-Mar-16 00:13:30

We can accept gifts, but there are strict rules about things like the value, and everything has to be declared. It includes things like meals, Christmas gifts, and pretty much everything. You might get away without declaring a branded biro.

You are absolutely not allowed to accept gifts that could put a bidding client in a favourable position, because that would be bribery.

Stillunexpected Thu 24-Mar-16 00:26:41

Different companies will have different rules. DH cannot accept any corporate day or gift costing more than £300. Also no hospitality for spouses no invitations along to exhibition openings, dinners etc. Previous company had different, less-strict rules.

gingerdad Fri 25-Mar-16 14:24:30

Great thing about running your own Comapny can accept anything

Did get invited on a trip because the perceived value was too high and his May public sector customers aren't allowed to accept.

lougle Fri 25-Mar-16 14:30:45

You have to check individually. Nurses have it expressly written into their code of conduct that all gifts should be refused.

DaisyAdair Fri 25-Mar-16 14:38:06

Where I work we are not allowed to accept gifts because of the anti bribery policy.

It's great at Christmas though because all the gifts are raffled among the staff. I got three bottles of wine last year grin

wonkylegs Fri 25-Mar-16 14:41:49

Depends on the company policy - they should have an anti-bribery policy but what that actually says will vary from company to company.
My old company we used to get bottles of booze occasionally at Christmas or at the end of projects, or tickets for football/golf.

Geepee71 Sun 27-Mar-16 22:36:39

As above, depends on company policy, some can accept gifts up to value of say £10, but still has to be declared. We just out any gifts into raffles for staff to win. Or if it's tins of chocolate at Christmas then we put them out for all staff to share.
Something like a bic biro / cheap logo pen you can keep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now