Advice please! My job is killing me...

(3 Posts)
MummyIsMyFavouriteName Wed 02-Mar-16 18:46:45

So I'm on my final placement of teacher training and I'm after some advice.

I'm really miserable. I'm 100% sure that I don't want to be a teacher anymore. I'm busy all the time, on constant catch up. I get about 4 hours sleep a night because I stay up late doing work and I get up early to carry on. And the worst bit is that I spend more time with other people's children, who never seem to appreciate it, than I do with my own DD. I'm always told that I need to be more flamboyant in my delivery of lessons but I'm tired and starting to feel a like I'm suffocating under the strain and pressure that is constant so being flamboyant is proving difficult. I'm also struggling to remember things and I think it's because I'm sleep deprived and stressed constantly.

So my question is: what jobs are there that you can do with a teaching degree? I don't want to waste my degree but I can't do this job. It'll kill me and I have missed too much of my daughter's childhood already.

Has anybody been in a similar situation or just have any advice?

CountryLovingGirl Wed 02-Mar-16 19:50:55

Have you posted this on the staffroom board on here? Teachers on there may be able to offer advice.

EBearhug Thu 03-Mar-16 02:35:51

There are jobs like education in museums and the like, but I suspect that's an area which will have suffered large cuts. Also training for companies. Plus there are some jobs where you just need a degree - you'll have loads of transferable skills round planning, organisation, time management, communication and so on.

Asking other teachers is probably the best advice, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now