Potential Brexit and Au Pairs!

(9 Posts)
MtnBikeChick Wed 24-Feb-16 13:09:49

Any employment lawyer mumsnetters out there? Does anyone know if Brexit would impact the ability of EU au pairs to come to Britain to work easily? I am about to make an offer to an au pair to start in August.
I don't think Brexit is likely, myself, but I did wonder about the free movement of labour implications! Thanks

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 24-Feb-16 13:12:50

I think that there is some sort of au pair scheme for non - EEA countries? Maybe take a look at that?

AlpacaLypse Wed 24-Feb-16 13:15:05

There were plenty of au pairs around when I was little, before we joined up. Presumably if they could get here before 1973 they'll still be able to get here again afterwards.

Fitzers Wed 24-Feb-16 13:20:45

Hard to know, depends what the rules would change to be jobspotting.com/en/journal/what-the-brexit-could-mean-for-european-workers/

boredofusername Wed 24-Feb-16 19:13:45

I think it depends what rules the EU would insist on for British people wanting to work in the EU - if they were onerous, the UK would probably respond in kind with onerous visa requirements so it might not be as easy as it was pre-1973. I suspect that sort of thing would very much depend on the mood of the discussions extricating the UK (England) from the EU.

Personally I wouldn't do anything about long-term holidays plan, moving overseas, employing people etc until after 23 June when we might have a clearer idea (or at least we might have voted to stay so the problem goes away - until the next time).

Beahun Sun 27-Mar-16 17:37:00

It's been a while since you posted this tread but I know the answer to this. I was an au-pair before those 10 more countries joined the EU. Basicly we needed an invitation letter from the host family with their address ,telephone number so the border officer could call the family up if they wanted to. So, on the first time of entry we would get an au-pair visa which was for 2 years. I assume if there is a Brexit it would just go back how it's used to be.

BlameItOnTheBogey Sun 27-Mar-16 21:14:36

Bea you don't know the answer to this. You know what existed before we joined the EU but there is no guarantee at all that that is what would follow if we exited the union. I think bored's answer is more accurate.

Beahun Mon 28-Mar-16 00:41:52

Yes,you might be right. We're all just guessing about what would happen after June.

benedictcumberbatch Mon 28-Mar-16 00:47:06

How much will you pay him/her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now