SSP while off for pregnancy related issues

(4 Posts)
MrsBlimey Tue 16-Feb-16 13:57:29

Hi everyone,

Have been signed off for four weeks with "early pregnancy problems" (sickness, exhaustion) and work have paid full pay for the first two weeks and then SSP for the final two weeks and have said that any more absence will be at SSP.

Are they allowed to do this? They know about the pregnancy, obviously. I'm 12 weeks so it's not as if it's proper ML yet.

I also suspect that my absence has been marked down against me in my performance management.

Any advice much appreciated. Am die to go back to work next week but tbh the sickness and exhaustion haven't shifted but I also can't afford to be paid just on SSP.

Many thanks

BaronessEllaSaturday Tue 16-Feb-16 14:05:37

You are entitled to any sick pay that you would get if you were not pregnant so if you would only get 2 weeks full pay then ssp then your employer is correct.

Your pregnancy related sick leave needs to be recorded separately but will still be recorded they just can't use it to discriminate against you.

DontCareHowIWantItNow Tue 16-Feb-16 14:09:09

Are they allowed to do this?

If it is the same policy if you weren't pregnant then yes they can.

twopinkkittens Wed 17-Feb-16 12:22:39

Hello,

Yes. In my contract it says that full sickness pay will be paid for 10 working days. Anymore after that will be paid SSP.

They cannot discipline you for being off sick with pregnancy related illness but can and will pay you SSP.

Hope you feel better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now