Moving into management

(3 Posts)
2ndSopranosRule Sun 14-Feb-16 09:53:28

I'm shortly to be moving into a management role at work. The senior managers have confidence in my ability to do this successfully as I do to a degree but as I've never officially done this I'm full of doubt.

One of the people I'll be managing is a very difficult person just to liven things up.

I've worked for this organisation for nearly eight years and am generally not liked (because I get on with management...).

I'm excited but nervous. Any tips?

In case it's relevant, this is a promotion online in terms of responsibility. I'm not being paid a penny extra (my role was a management role in the past but my predecessor made such a hash of it it was removed when I was appointed).

2ndSopranosRule Sun 14-Feb-16 09:54:17

*only

crazyhead Wed 17-Feb-16 17:18:49

How many people will you be managing? Do they do the same or different jobs? Is the environment and work controlled or hectic?

Training can be helpful, especially if you are managing difficult people - if your work aren't giving you a payrise, you could ask about this

Formal structures - team meetings, regular one to ones are useful, especially to start off with. They may or may not be embedded in your organisation, Taking the time to listen to what your team feel their priorities and needs are is hugely valuable.

People generally want clarity about what is expected of them, and how they will be measured. Try to ensure that you have clarity about what the organisation expects from you, so that you can pass this to your team.

Be kind to yourself. It can be quite tough growing into a manager from the ranks. Again, if you aren't getting paid more, push for feedback and support in your role.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now