Civil Service unsocial hours pay.....any ideas?

(12 Posts)
Noordinarygirl Sat 06-Feb-16 19:02:09

I have an interview for a job within the Civil Service which is part time, 4 evenings a week 5pm til 10pm. Does anyone know what time enhancements would kick in for unsocial hours? Is it 7pm? And what % in addition to basic pay is attracted for such hours?

I'm having to look very carefully whether it's financially viable for me before surging ahead any further and wasting both their time and my own.

PatriciaHolm Sat 06-Feb-16 21:20:33

This -
www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/offenders/psipso/psi-2012/psi-28-2012-noms-pay-policy-manual.pdf

mentions 7pm-7am, and 17% of base salary extra.

May be of no use if it's a completely different branch of the CS though!

aurorie11 Sat 06-Feb-16 21:30:58

I would expect the advert to have said what the allowances are, have you still got it?

Noordinarygirl Sat 06-Feb-16 21:33:57

Aurorie11 - The ad doesn't state what the enhanced rate of pay is and I really don't want to ask at the interview.

Thanks Patricia - I think I should maybe 'do my sums' and budgeting on those rates.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 06-Feb-16 21:36:11

Which branch of CS is it?

Noordinarygirl Sat 06-Feb-16 21:38:06

It's Disclosure and Barring Service

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 06-Feb-16 21:45:59

what band? I'd expect the ad to include it to be honest, NOMS do. Can you contact the recruitment team who are organising the interview and ask them? That way you'll know before you go?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 06-Feb-16 21:50:46

I know for NOMS it's 17% of your salary for hours worked between 7 and 7, but it is pro-rata due to shifts, including regular nights.

You really need to speak to the recruitment team, they will tell you smile

Noordinarygirl Sat 06-Feb-16 22:25:02

Neither the ads online nor the ones in the local Metro stated exact enhancements.

I have a number I can call for an informal chat prior to the interview but still not hugely happy about asking as it may get back to the interview panel. But I suppose in this day and age everyone is having to budget far more carefully.

It's been pretty involved up until now to get through to the interview and it's going to be a 4.5 hour assessment/interview so REALLY don't want to put myself through all that if it's not going to make financial sense IYKWIM....

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 06-Feb-16 22:51:08

I really wouldn't worry about them telling the panel - they won't! But even if they did, there is nothing negative about making pay enquiries - it's very sensible in fact!

Good luck with the interview! be ready for role play grin

Noordinarygirl Sat 06-Feb-16 23:07:50

Thanks for that.....any tips for the role play section? That's a new one for me....it's been 20 years since I was last an interviewee.....

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sun 07-Feb-16 09:34:40

Stay calm and don't panic! At least one will involve the other person becoming rude/aggressive, they will look to see that you can keep calm and not give out info you shouldn't when faced with intimidation.

They really aren't that bad so don't worry smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now