New Contract - benefits?

(6 Posts)
MiamiBound Thu 04-Feb-16 09:25:30

I have been offered a new contract at work, higher grading - the only benefits are

3 days extra holiday (based on how long i have been there) just means i hit the maximum holiday quicker as we get one extra a year

moving from one month to 3 months notice (great for redundancy, not for moving jobs)

and a slight increase in my travel perks...

is it worth moving to notice period ? as the holiday i will get soon, and the perks are not really an amazing change, just pushes me up the queue as to speak

flowery Thu 04-Feb-16 10:24:58

Don't you get a higher salary with the higher grading as well?

MiamiBound Thu 04-Feb-16 10:31:22

nope, salary was reset and raised slightly higher last year, but no offer on this current change

flowery Fri 05-Feb-16 14:31:40

Presumably higher grading means more potential for an increase though?

Seems odd, if there's no actual change to your individual terms, to make regrading of your role conditional upon a new contract. Surely either the role has been regraded or it hasn't?!

MiamiBound Fri 05-Feb-16 14:52:07

The new grading is a change in contract terms, and therefore needs a new contract signing.

flowery Fri 05-Feb-16 15:10:01

Just seems odd that's all. Gradings usually apply to roles not individuals. If a role was previously grade 3 (or whatever) and the responsibilities/requirements for the role have been assessed and the role is now grade 4, it seems very odd to say that unless the individual currently sitting in that role signs a new contract, it will stay at grade 3.

Anyway. If you are planning on leaving soon, then be wary of signing up to a longer notice period but if you're not planning on going anywhere and/or that length of notice period is pretty standard at your level (and therefore will be expected by new employers anyway), then that's different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now