Negotiating a 20% salary increase

(14 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Tue 19-Jan-16 20:11:24

Has anyone got any tips or considerations for how to approach this?
I think such a big jump in one year is unlikely, but if I mention this in negotiations, I'd instantly be on the back foot, wouldn't I?
The reason I want it is to bring my pay in line with my peers. I have evidence that people on par with me are on the same.

MrsBertMacklin Tue 19-Jan-16 20:27:29

Forgot to say please!

WeAllHaveWings Wed 20-Jan-16 22:28:53

Ime asking for an increase because someone else in the same role earns more than you doesn't get you far. Your workplace may have many reasons for the difference and are under no obligations to explain them to you.

You need to justify your pay rise based on your own growth and value to the company.

EBearhug Thu 21-Jan-16 00:17:03

Ime asking for an increase because someone else in the same role earns more than you doesn't get you far.

Unless there's a chance of discrimination. If your peers are all men and you're a woman, and you do do the same work,then that's probably the angle to take. However, there have been quite a few changes around employment law in the last couple of years, including around equal pay, so I am not sure of the current procedure.

Are you in a union?

WeAllHaveWings Thu 21-Jan-16 06:22:55

Good point from bear, do you think it's a discrimination issue?

all places I've worked there was not a discrimation issue. There were reasons for differences in pay I.e. Skill set, length of service, performance, soft skills, wanting to retain, previous bad management where some staff had pay rises and we now overpaid etc.

WidowWadman Thu 21-Jan-16 06:28:45

Large organisations may have some kind of policy re peer alignment. Even if you don't get the jump at once, you could suggest a salary journey which takes you up to the better level over a longer amount of time.

MrsBertMacklin Thu 21-Jan-16 09:24:57

Thanks for the responses.

It's not discrimination. The job was in a new field and sector when I took it and it appears I didn't do my homework on how much the role should attract.

Some items in my favour I think: I'm outperforming the people in other branches who perform the role and I had an excellent performance review 3 months ago.

The other reason for asking: I've been given a mandate to employ someone in a support role. This role exists already for my peers in other branches.

I phoned the recruiting agent who recruited for this role in the other branches to find out salary packages I need to budget for and discovered that the support people in the other branches are paid more than me.

I can't have someone under me, earning more than I do!

Widow, this was the tactic I was thinking of: asking for the 20% and if they turn it down, going back and asking for a negotiation of an initial 10% raise, happy for this to absorb any RPI salary increase in the next financial year, but with a view to getting in line with the other staff within an agreed period, if whatever obstacles preventing the full increase are cleared?

EmmaWldn Thu 28-Jan-16 15:04:32

Why is it that blokes are always negotiating higher salaries and that’s expected whereas it is less acceptable for women to do this.
How can you have someone under you earning more than you as it undermines your position. I think this is a good example which you could use to negotiate an increase as well as your performance. If you know a man doing similar work and being paid 20% more then I think it’s worth going for that increase. But, I think it is sometimes best to ask for an increase which they are likely to accept on the basis of your arguments as it’s always hard to go back again with a lower increase.

fiorentina Fri 29-Jan-16 21:58:57

I have asked for pay rises many times. I always use the justification of what I'm bringing to the role, the value I'm adding and not any sort of comparison with others.
I want that money on my own merits!

MrsBertMacklin Sun 31-Jan-16 11:24:07

Thanks everyone.

I'm confident that I can get a rise of sorts based on performance, but not sure I'll be able to get an extra 20% without pointing out that that's what's the going rate.

Annoyed at myself for not researching or negotiating more.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 31-Jan-16 11:24:43

'that that's what's'? Apologies for awful grammar.

SevenOfNineTrue Sun 31-Jan-16 11:34:00

My first reaction if I was your manager and you said 20% pay rise is 'Are you kidding me'.

Much better that you arrange a meeting and say that it has come to your attention that your peers, doing exactly the same role as you, are earning much more than you. Since there has been no criticism of your performance you'd like to understand why this is the case and what can be done to rectify it.

See what they say.

Longdistance Sun 31-Jan-16 11:39:56

I'm in a similar predicament myself. You're not alone in this. I'm doing a new role, and am being paid for my old role and now been asked to cover when the manager's away.
I had a review on Friday and am in line for two pay increases and a bonus. This isn't happening until March. Although, I'm beginning to resent it now there, I'm thinking of contacting the area manager to put my case across as I have been given more responsibility. And weirdly the guy who was employed straight into the role I'm doing now is getting paid more, and he's useless. He's been pulled up on loads of things, and has been in quite a lot of trouble. Yet, he will have to answer to me when the managers away, and I'm on a lower wage hmm work that one out????

lemon101 Tue 10-May-16 14:15:27

Hello,
My top tips are to get yourself on linkedin and get a profile set up. Personally I haven't really got much idea what linkedin is actually for but it does give your employer the idea that you are perhaps looking to get poached. If you are performing as well as you say you are they are not going to want you to leave. Needless to say you have to make sure some of your management staff are 'linked in' to you so they can see!
The next thing I would suggest is that you should not put a % requested payrise on it. That makes it sound more 'grabby' when you come to discuss it. Instead point out the comparable roles and their attached salaries - let them come to the number themselves - you almost have to make it seem like it is partly their own idea.
Finally, when you come to discuss it try and frame the payrise always in a slightly divorced context that links back to the role - not to you. Its a bit awkward, but its a bit like saying 'I understand that this position and the associated responsibilities are paid £xxxx amount and I am very committed to this role and take it very seriously.' Rather than 'I understand that others in this role are paid £xxxx and I would like that too'. You almost don't need to explicitly say 'I want to get paid more'. You politely allude to it. For some tiresome reason women have been found to get really poor outcomes when they go in and negotiate using 'I want', when actually that seems to have no effect with men.
I've gone after and been lucky enough to get two payrises and have used the above. It might have just been luck alone, or those tips might work for you. Either way definitely pursue that payrise if you are being underpaid. Bugger being underpaid - it makes me furious that such discrimination exists. Go get what is yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now