Feeling trapped- interviews?

(6 Posts)
toomuchinternets Sun 03-Jan-16 20:32:01

I started a new job in September in a primary school, and I hate it. My hours are 9-5 and I'm desperate to leave- to environment, the job I'm doing is nothing like what was sold to me.

But how? I can't get any time off for interviews. I considered taking an afternoon or morning as 'sick' but then what happens if the hypothetical new job ask for references- they'd know.

Feel so trapped and upset and feel sick at the thought of returning tomorrow- never been so unhappy but there's NO way we could afford for me to quit then find more work as we're so broke as we've just moved house.

toomuchinternets Mon 04-Jan-16 11:43:12

anyone...x

12purpleapples Mon 04-Jan-16 11:48:21

Are you sure you can't get time for an interview? What would happen if you had a medical appointment for example? There must be some situations where you would be able to get away during the working day?

venusinscorpio Mon 04-Jan-16 11:58:29

Apply for some jobs (believe me it will make you feel less trapped), and if you get a good interview say you have the dentist or your car won't start or make some other excuse. Try and get the interview right at the beginning or end of the day or at lunchtime. When they ask for references tell them not to approach your current employer yet as they don't know you're looking. Don't feel anxious, obviously this is quite a common situation.

Stillunexpected Mon 04-Jan-16 13:26:44

When you say the job is nothing like what you expected, I assume you are not actually in a teaching role at the school? How much notice would you have to give before leaving, as many education jobs require a term or half-term? Is the role one where you would resign and do temp/agency work - without knowing what you do at the school, it's difficult to advise further.

desperatehousewife21 Mon 04-Jan-16 17:07:20

Most prospective new employers don't ask for a references until an offer of employment has been made as they know you don't want your current place to know you're looking .
I've just got a new job start in a couple of weeks and my offer is subjective to references.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now