Transferable skills

(7 Posts)
candlelight22 Tue 15-Dec-15 06:04:55

I got turned down for a reception job yesterday after interview. I am gutted as I know I could have so done it.

Was told that the interview was good but they chose somebody with recent relevant experience so I'm guessing a receptionist. I've been at home with children for a few years. The ad didn't stipulate that reception duties was an essential skill.

I haven't worked in a reception as such but have worked in very busy offices (media/television) and have tons of transferable skills eg greeting clients, phone skills, arranging appointments, problem solving, interpersonal skills etc.

So now I'm thinking that I'm totally useless and unemployable. It's not possible to go back to my previous career.

Don't employers look at transferable skills anymore? Or do they just want someone who exactly fits the box? Is there any hope in the jobs world for us experienced and highly qualified stay at home mums? sad

OllyBJolly Wed 16-Dec-15 07:27:40

Look - it's really competitive in the jobs market, particularly for these kinds of roles. You got an interview. The general rule is to interview 6 candidates for a position and for a receptionist's job I'd imagine there were over 100 applications. You done bloody fantastic to get as far as you did.

You have to look at it as a bit of a lottery. It's not so much about your value as a potential employee, it's more that someone else just got a bit luckier on the day. You got to the last hurdle. One of these times - hopefully soon - you'll get over that.

Rejection is hard. When I was job-hunting I found it hurt a bit less if I knew there were other applications out still being considered.

Best of luck and hope something turns up soon.

Fluffyears Wed 16-Dec-15 08:43:03

I was gutted to be turned down for a job but I am starting a new job in January which is with a better company. Stick with it the right one will come along.

EBearhug Wed 16-Dec-15 08:57:30

You might have been brilliant - but sometimes, you get a really good field of candidates, and you have to make a decision, because you can only employ one. It most certainly doesn't mean you're useless and unemployable - many people don't even get to interview. Stick with it, and keep applying. Meanwhile, think back over the interview - is there anything you could have answered differently, something you could have mentioned, but didn't? Use this experience so you're even better for the next one.

candlelight22 Mon 04-Jan-16 19:16:06

Thank you for your kind words.
I did get offered a much more suitable job with better hours for me which I started today!
So you're right......the right thing will come along.
I feel very lucky smile

OllyBJolly Mon 04-Jan-16 21:07:38

Wow - congratulations. That's great news!

EBearhug Mon 04-Jan-16 21:16:04

Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now