Change of hours with less than 2 weeks notice

(4 Posts)
m0therofdragons Sat 05-Dec-15 12:13:31

I'm being promoted which is of course great but my boss wants me to start week after next. It was mentioned in the summer but didn't happen and I'd assumed the plan had changed but suddenly there's an actual offer on the table (pay being confirmed next week) and he mentioned it starts Monday after next. He was really stroppy when I said that's too soon and it needs to be January.
I have sorted childcare and holiday over Christmas with my current hours in mind and with 3dc this is not straight forward. I would have to take extra holiday which I don't have as the new hours start near the end of our holiday year and I won't get the full entitlement of holiday for new hours until the new holiday year starts.
I feel like I'm being reasonable - also sorting after school childcare in less than 2 weeks feels unfair. I'm still suggesting less than a month. Where do I stand?

grumpysquash2 Sun 06-Dec-15 12:11:37

Is there some kind of compromise, for example, starting to do the work for the new role, but not increasing your hours until the new year?

m0therofdragons Sun 06-Dec-15 14:41:21

I'm already stretched in what I'm doing and I'll be continuing that plus extra bits. Over Christmas I have holiday booked so will be in for less hours than normal. I'm really trying not to be difficult and always work different days if needed etc which I don't have to do. If I handed in my notice is have to give 3 months notice yet for this change less than 2 weeks is deemed fine.

flowery Mon 07-Dec-15 06:35:47

You need to negotiate and compromise. You are right in that giving two weeks notice of a compulsory change in hours wouldn't normally be reasonable.

But this isnt that. You are being offered a promotion, which presumably you could refuse, but don't want to. He could say you can only have the promotion if you take it up in two weeks, but on the other hand you taking it up in four weeks would probably be preferable for him than having to find someone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now