zero hour contract and maternity rights

(5 Posts)
poco2015 Tue 25-Aug-15 22:04:47

Does anyone know anything about this? I have just taken a job (officially started July) as a supply teacher on a zero hour contract, Have just found out I am pregnant, I plan to only take half a term off then go back for half a term and then it will be summer holidays again But can i claim maternity pay? or have any form of maternity rights?

Rockchick1984 Tue 25-Aug-15 23:43:30

Your maternity pay is based on your earnings between weeks 17-25 of your pregnancy. If you earn enough then you will get SMP, if not you'll get maternity allowance. Either way you are entitled to take up to a year off work.

flowery Wed 26-Aug-15 07:46:09

It's not just based on earnings. You also need 26 weeks continuous service with the same employer by 15 weeks before your due date.

Rockchick1984 Wed 26-Aug-15 10:39:01

Apologies, I was assuming that if OP has only just found out that she has been there since she fell pregnant - no clue what month I'm thinking we are in as July feels like it was ages ago summer holiday fever

poco2015 Wed 26-Aug-15 20:07:54

I have been with them since july but as summer holidays have not worked yet and so not earned anything. I am 7 weeks pregnant atm. Im guessing I p[rob wont get SMP but could i get MA?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now