Help! New job, college, pregnancy #3 and depression

(4 Posts)
MrsPearce2015 Thu 13-Aug-15 21:34:39

Hello! I would love some advice on a few dilemmas I'm having right now!

So I've got a new job!!! grin been 2 months so still on probation for another month.
Secondly, I will be going back into education at the end of September to which my contracted hours will need to change to accommodate.
And thirdly, 2 weeks ago I found out that I am pregnant again (second pregnancy ended in blighted ovum sad) currently 7 weeks! And along with this one I feel the onset of depression nudging me! Whilst I'm very happy for the changes, I am also very anxious in both the pregnancy going to full term and telling my employment of my change.

What would be a decent approach to at least reassure my employer just because all of the above is happening doesn't mean I cannot do my job to standard. ???
Worst case scenario im told no, or do not pass my probation. But how can I be sure that's not because of baby? .....hmm

flowery Thu 13-Aug-15 22:33:48

Congratulations on your pregnancy and on the new job.

If your hours are changing next month to work around your education presumably that's already been agreed?

I don't think there should be any need to reassure your employer that your pregnancy won't mean you can't do your job to standard. Employees get pregnant all the time, but when it happens so early in employment the issue for the employer is more likely to be having to deal with maternity leave so quickly, rather than any question of the employee not being able to do her job.

Unless your job is something very physical which will be affected by your pregnancy?

MrsPearce2015 Fri 14-Aug-15 10:28:49

Hello flowery and thank you

I've only decided recently to go back to college and haven't discussed it with anyone at work yet. I did mention it in my interview so it shouldn't come as too much of a shock and wouldn't disrupt work. Also our hours are decreasing around that time anyway so the reduced hours would work out well for me as I have a 1 year old at home.
I work in retail but lifting is done by other staff and I can always ask them to do it.

I just have to take a deep breath and do it then won't I?

flowery Fri 14-Aug-15 15:09:19

Well, yes! Like most of these things, it probably won't be nearly as bad as you think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now