About to start Accounting Technician Diploma AAT level 2, have seen an 'Apprentice Accounts Assistant' position...should I apply??

(3 Posts)
GourmetGold Wed 01-Jul-15 13:06:49

Hi, I have been in and out of minimum wage jobs for the past 10 years. I am now 41 and very fed up with my situation, my last boss what an absolute bully (waitressing in a cafe) and I walked out, I really felt like I had hit rock bottomsad.

I have been looking at options for retraining in a new career, preferably so I can work for myself, I just can't go on doing minimum wage jobs where I seem to be treated like I am totally 'expendable'.

The option that seems a good one for me, is to learn bookkeeping. I have found, what appears to be, a good Diploma, with Pitman training...includes manual bookkeeping, sage accounts and payroll, excel spreadsheets (to advanced level), amongst other subjects. If I study full time I can complete the course in 2-3 months.
I have no accounts background, I have worked in secretarial/office admin roles 20 years ago whilst temping and I can touch type.

I had been looking at bookkeeping/accounts assistant jobs advertised and (maybe it is a quiet time for jobs?..I live in area of country where it's not bad for finding jobs) there are not many and all seem to say they want experience.
Pitman do say that many students have gotten jobs just with the Diploma, some before finishing their training, as it is well regarded.

I have seen a position as an apprentice accounts assistant, for a year, it is about an hours drive away (so I'd probably have hardly any money left after paying for my fuel!) and they want you to be studying AAT when you apply.

If anyone is a book keeper, or knows about this type of work, do you think I would be best applying for this position, or wait for something better?

Thanks! smile

GourmetGold Wed 01-Jul-15 13:08:29

'--what--' should say 'was'!

GourmetGold Wed 01-Jul-15 13:13:22

I can wait a bit, my partner's job can just about support us both. Just didn't know if this was a good opportunity I'd be missing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now