Training to be a Social Worker

(4 Posts)
clayspaniel Fri 26-Jun-15 09:22:18

Just wondering what routes into social work are. Am currently a teacher but want a change of career as more interested in this side of teaching (families/pastoral etc) rather than education. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

BlankXpression Sun 28-Jun-15 21:25:47

SW degree or Masters.

You need to have experience (used to be 6 months...think it may now be a year?) of working in a social care environment to apply for the Masters (not sure about the degree). I'd recommend this anyway, to see if you really want to do social work...

Colleges (and some of the academy chains of secondary schools) often have safeguarding roles these days (including at management level) if you decide that the SW training isn't for you. Your teaching background would make you a good fit. Would your school send you on advanced safeguarding training (the training for designated leads, for example), do you think?

KosmoKramer Sun 28-Jun-15 22:46:46

Google Step Up To Social Work...this is another way in. Plus Frontline.

Although I am two years in, and desperately looking for a way out.

CountryLovingGirl Mon 29-Jun-15 09:37:31

I would go for a safeguarding role as already suggested. You have to do the social work degree, that is funded by the NHS, but you may not qualify as you already have a degree.

Why don't you like teaching?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now